Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Hum, I think I have found the problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skit_skittson, May 2, 2002.

1. Does something have to be soldered to make a connection or can it just be touching? If it has to be soldered I think I have found the universal problem with most jazz basses that hum even if there is reverse wound pickups. When I took apart my jazz bass I noticed that the ground wire that was going to the bridge wasn't soldered to it, it was just sticking out of the hole touching the bridge. I'm soldering the ground wire tonight and re-soldering my pickups to the pots. I'm glad I finally went to the trouble of taking my bass apart instead of just wondering what the problem was.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Jazz basses hum. That's what they do. Soldering the ground wire to the bridge is unlikely to help. If it is to standard specs, the connection is already made solid by the bridge being screwed down against the wire. As mentioned, it only need be touching.

You might see this thread get moved to set up. So, look for it there later.

Chas

3. As long as the Jazz Bass has its OEM single coils, it will hum if the pickups are not at the same volume setting...shield and solder all you want, but it'll still hum.

4. well i put basslines in it and when they are at full volume they still hum, but when i touch the bridge or control plate or strings, it stops. so i figured it was a grounding issue. i've heard that something needs to be soldered to have a true connection and not just touching. please give me input. i want this bass not to hum at all.

5. Which Basslines did you install? Are they stacked humbuckers? If they are single coil pickups they will hum no matter what you do, that's the nature of single coil pickups and that's the reason humbucking (notice the name...buck the hum) were invented! If you installed a set of the stacked humbuckers and still get hum, try shielding the control cavity.

6. there are the basslines vintage jazz, not stacked, but they should still not hum if both pickups are at full volume, and they do hum even if both are at full volume. does the ground wire to the bridge need to be soldered to the bridge or does it just need to be touching the bridge (like the bridge is screwed down on top of the wire)?

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If this is the case, then yes, it is a grounding issue. If the hum you are describing stops when you touch the bridge, etc., there is no ground, one of the connections somewhere was broken.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually to me it just sounds like "buzz", which won't go away until the control cavity is properly shielded.

Does the hum you're describing have much bass to it? Or is it just static-y?

9. the hum goes away when i touch the bridge, control plate or strings, it's a grounding problem. i just don't know how you fix it. do you have to solder the ground wire to the bridge or can it be touching it?

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

If the hum stops when you touch the srings, the grounding connection is apparently already ok.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Did you add a new preamp also or just the Basslines? I added an active preamp to my MTD Beast that has exposed pole single coil J pickups in it and I had the same problem. If I touched the bridge or strings it would stop humming. It turns out that I had a bad preamp. Once I put the new one in the problem was solved.