Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass hum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ole Jason, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm a real numbskull when it comes to pickups. I always hear people talk about how you just have to live with the hum of jazz pickups when one is soloed. My Carvin bass is dead quiet with either pickup soloed. Is it because the pickups are active/passive or what? I recently got a Brice jazz and the hum pretty much makes it useless for recording with a solo pickup, would swapping pickups help?

p.s. I'm sure there are tons of threads on this but the search function didn't offer any clues

2. Your carvin must have humbucking jazz pick-ups. jazz pick-up is just the shape of the cover, if a pick-up hums while soloed it's a single coil if not it's an humbucker. Some prefer single coils because the sound is different but no matter how much you pay for them, single coils will always hum when soloed.

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    ah okay. I wasn't aware that they made humbuckers in the traditional jazz shape. Thanks :)

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Some singles hum a lot and you can't shut them up. Some only hum in certain environments. Some don't hum, Barts are quiet. You can also split coils on stacked HB's. Active singles won't hum. Not into recording but know many engineer's prefer Fenders so they must have some way around it.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    It depends on the pickup, some are very quiet like Barts which are put in epoxy which eliminates lots of noise. There's also those dual coil crazy things. Either way I've got a bass with single coils layed in epoxy, and they are intensely quiet.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Also, a good shielding job will quite noisy pickups. I have a Duncan hot jazz in the neck position of my parts bass. That sucker was unuseable until I shielded the pickup cavity and the control cavity.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I had a hot P like that but the Jazz is a stacked humbucker so unless the coils were split, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I shielded the control bay of the P with no results and ran copper foil to the back of the pups and grounded them with no results. For kicks and grins I dipped them later - with no results. I thought about shielding the pup cavity but by that time I'd shielded 3 control bays and had my fill of it. Aside from the time involved, a negative of shielding is that it makes a great ground for anything hot - especially connections to pot lugs between the floor and walls. I would highly suggest throwing a piece electrical tape below each set of pot lugs (and along the walls where there's any potential for close contact. It may save you some grief in the middle of a gig. But I will agree, the pup is pretty unuseable as is which is unfortunate cause it puts out good tone.

Oops, there is a hot jazz aside from the hotstack (which is what I've got). At any rate, shielding is worth it if it gets the job done - and the first one is actually kind of fun, albeit tedious and time consuming.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yes, the hot stack is naturally quieter. The stacked humbuckers do a great job. In fact, I did have one of those in this bass for a while, but after shielding the bass, I pull it out because I really do like the single coil better. The only problem with the hot jazz single coil is that it is very susceptible to noise, but since I put the shielding in, I haven't had a problem. If I ever do, I have a MM pup in the bridge position that I can fall back on.

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The stock single coils in my Rickenbacker picked up all kinds of EM junk... didn't help that they're not wound in reverse of each other for humcancelling purposes like a Jazz.

10. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I might ry some humbucking singles soon, the hum drives me crazy!

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    It's not the epoxy but the sheilding inside that makes them quiet. The epoxy makes them durable and prevents some microphonics but not hum.

12. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Carvin has two pickups in the Jazz shape. Their standard pickup these days is the J99 single-coil. The H50N stacked humbucker was the standard pickup before the J99 came out (in 1999) and is still available as an option. The H50N has it's two coils stacked one on top of the other instead of side by side. So it looks like a single-coil.

To identify which is which, look at the Carvin logo on the front of the p'up. The J99 has a small dot before the C in Carvin. The H50N has no dot.

[​IMG]
    On top is the H50N from my BB75P, no dot. The bottom one is a J99 from my B4F, note the dot just before the C.

13. I really like Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in my USA Hamer Cruise Bass which are a split coil design and still retain most of that "vintage" kind of tone.