Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass-ish, 5-string, 35", fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Jul 26, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm looking to add to my arsenal, something Jazz Bass-ish, 5-string, 35" scale, fretless.

It should be something good, but not in the "mortgage the house" category... :)
    Let's say 2.500 USD tops.

- Mike Lull would be one example of desirable bass...
    - Rob Allen is a possible, though not so Jazz-ish

Could you all help me with a list of basses you feel should be on the list to look at?

Thanks,
    Anders

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I guess this would all depend on whether you mean Jazz bass-like in looks, sound or both.

Elrick NJS - both
    Brubaker NBS - sound
    Crescent Moon -sound
    F Bass - sound
    Zon -Joe just makes killer fretlesses, had to include him;)

3. Pulcinella would be right up your alley. I imagine you could find a fretless Lakland 55-63, too.

4. what you seek, my friend.. is HOTWIRE !

http://www.hotwire-bass.com/

for example.. the Vitage-5 with swamp ash body and ebony fretboard... handmade in Germany, and costs 1.700 euro ! kick-ass ! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks all for your suggestions.

Difficult to choose! I think I want a bass that is reasonably "traditional" in shape, and has a Jazz Bass-ish sound as well.

Not for me:

- Many of the basses look great but are a bit radikal for my taste (fbb, dp custom, brubaker).

- The elricks are beautiful, but I have always had a big problem with the lower horn pointing the same way as the upper, it looks very strange to me. The NJS may be for the list though.

- Crescent Moon seems to be 34" only.

- F Bass is nice, but perhaps too much on the high-tech looks side.

Possibles:

- Elrick NJS, maybe

- Zon Sonus looks nice (even though I have never liked the head stock shape), should be possible to find one in my price range...

- Pulcinnella Level 5 is a contender

- The Hotwire is really interesting, but I can't read from their web pages if they are 34" only. I think so, but I'll send them a mail and find out. It's within the EU as well, which helps the price a bit.

Great so far, thanks. More suggestions anyone?

6. Marleaux makes a nice looking J bass for about 2 500 Euros (och eftersom kronan ser ganska bra ut i relation till Euron för tillfället så... ;)). Not sure about the scale length though. There are others nice German, like the above mentioned HotWire, and European (I've seen some Italian ones, but can't remember the brands. Frudua? Manne?), makers. One is Human Base (can't seem to recall the URL at the moment, but I can find it for you if you want it), that sell a J-like bass that got a good review in an issue of Gitarre & Bass from last autumn.
    The essence of what I'm trying to say is, why search a bass at the other side of the pond? The European grass is plenty green.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    elrick NJS

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Tack för hjälpen lousybassist! :)

Neither Marleaux nor Human Base seem to make anything in 35", but I'll send them an email and ask anyway.

I agree, it would be great to find something European, I've until now imported four of my five basses from the U.S. since I couldn't find them in Europe, but customs and taxes really hurt.

9. you like this ? :)

[​IMG] ? :)

also handmade in germany :D

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That's a very nice bass! What is it?

I think something more traditional "Fender-ish" is what I'm looking for though.

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say look into... Elrick basses :D
    he does make some traditional(except for the headstock of course) basses. but i like the "Elrick" body style the most IMO

12. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Sadowsky has some J-bass offerings, but I don't know if they're 35" scale.

13. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, if they're good enough for Will Lee... :)

I really like Sadowskies (one Sadowsky, two Sadowskies? :) ) but according to the FAQ he doesn't do 35".

The reason I'm obsessing with 35" is that my basses all are (except for the Fender), and I think it is best for fretless intonation to stick with one scale length as much as possible (?).

Any thoughts on switching between different scales, difficult or possible? (This should perhaps be a separate thread in the technique forum...)

14. It's hard. Going from my 34", thick-necked FBB fretted to my 35", skinny-necked MTD Kingston fretless presents significant intonation issues, particularly near the nut.

15. www.bassculture.de :)

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

17. They might be just out of your price range, but the Celinder J Vintage and Update fivers all have 35 inch scale necks. As a bonus, they're the nicest looking J-style basses out there, IMO. Traditional, but with enough of a twist to separate them from the crowd.
    As well, since you're located in Sweden (dare I ask where?), København, where you might be able to try one out in Celinder's shop, is not that far away.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hands down, the Elrick New Jazz Standard. quality parts, lightweight exotic woods, custom bart pickups, 35" scale, all for $1900 street.

[​IMG]