Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass IV fmt american deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkfish, Aug 15, 2002.

1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    ive got a american standard jbass and im lookin for a step up

what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    big step

3. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    duh, thats the point

thats what im goin for

either that, or look around for a vintage jbass...somethin like this:

[​IMG]

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The active EQ is going to make the new bass very different than your passive one. Blending pickups is going to be different since they are buffered. Personally I prefer the sound of a passive Jazz Bass, since you like your American Stanradr, you may, too. Definitely check it out before making the jump.

Otherwise, damn beautiful bass, I've read good things about the FMT Fenders. They certainly are beautiful.

What exactly are you looking for that your American Standard is not giving you?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not bad in terms of construction and sound.

Fender cheats a little with the fretwork on the bound fretboard; take a look at one in person to see what I mean.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    ??

7. I'm with brad - cheats? No cheating on my FMT.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you look closely, the frets don't overlap the binding. Instead, the frets stop inside the binding and the binding's been shaped and crowned just like the fret itself.

This saves Fender the trouble of having to cut the tangs to a different length than the crowns and from paying careful attention when filing the fret ends. Like those hoity-toity archtop guys.

A little bit of a cheat, but hey, for the price...

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I guess. My frets on both of my bound basses (78 Jazz, FMT V) look good, feel good and seem to work extremely well.

I guess ignorance is bliss ;)

So, the frets should be bare and extend over the binding? Is there a problem with the way Fender did it? Just curious.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No problem. It's just a labor-saving step. I'd rather they do what they did than overlap the crowns and then gouge out the binding while filing. (Which I've seen done on a few new instruments. Yikes!)