Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass knob removal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 6, 2004.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I foolishly *tried* to remove the knobs off of my geddy lee jazz bass and chipped the knob :crying:

Is there a specific procedure for getting these knobs off? They seem awfully difficult to remove. :help:

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    There isn't an "official" procedure. I've devised my own set of puller legs that I use for that purpose--they seem to work quite well.

I never did like Fender's push-on knobs. I've replaced all the knobs on my Fenders with the dome type.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    please do share about how you created your "puller legs." :)

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Stew-mac sells a special tool for pulling off knobs.

5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I had what looked like a small pair of ice tongs--I have no idea what it's actual purpose was. All I did was to bend the ends of the tool inward at a 90 degree angle. I then glued felt to the bottoms to prevent scratching the finish. The legs fit under the knob very nicely and with a slight tug, the knob is removed.

Also, as altdeadhead has pointed out, Stew-Mac sells a tool that will do the same thing.

6. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    :confused: The knobs on my Geddy Lee Jazz weren't the push-on kind, they had set screws holding them on. Have they changed them? I just needed the proper sized allen wrench to remove them.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sometimes the Alembic-style knobs are also used. These have a lift-off knob cap, which you can remove with a tiny screwdriver or an awl. Beneath that, there is a slotted screw that you turn to get the knob off. I've seen these on several Fender basses lately, not sure if they're factory or after-market.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    With a standard plastic push-on knob, put a piece of cloth on the body and use two spoons to lever the knob up. The bowl of the spoon is the fulcrum.

9. An allan key is what I used to fix my Geddy Lee Jazz. My knobs we loose and on the side is a hole where you insert an allan wrench and that allows the knobs to be tightened or loosened.

10. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    what size allen key do you need? i tried a 1.5 and it seemed too small and then i tried and 2 and it was too big

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thread revival!

How about a 1.75?

12. dman_113

dman_113 Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

Nov 4, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Does anyone make a 1.75?

13. perucci

perucci

Dec 25, 2007
    I don't know 'bout Geddy Lee Jazz, but on my new MIM Jazz, the knobs take 1/16" allen-wrench. Everything on my MIM seems to use US, not metric, sizes.

14. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    the 1.5 worked on my pickup knobs but not on the tone knob. i guess its just a faulty part. also, i have another question. i like the look of the chrome knobs on my ibanez gsr190 and i tried to put them on my Jazz but they are different pots. the gsr has the split pots with the little grip grooves and the Jazz has a solid pot with no grooves. do they make the chrom knobs with the same insides as the Jazz knobs? that is, smooth with the allen wrench part

15. And it comes with proper knobs with a flat-head screws!