Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass Maple neck.??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jan 7, 2003.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I was watching U2 in concert on the TV the other night and i love Adam Clayton's 62 re-issue Fender Jazz bass (Sunburst maple neck) The question is what is the Cheapest Fender Sunburst maple neck bass u can get? I know The Mexican ones don't have maple fingerboards. THe 62 re-issue has a big price tag.

Any going for cheap/used in the uk?

2. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Check it out HERE

But they aren't sunburst and they don't have maple necks. Sorry. :D

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not to jump on the "correction" band wagon here, but Adam Clayton also isn't playing a '62 reissue. I'm not U2/Clayton expert, but I believe his bass in something in the rage of an original '72...no reissue about it. He also plays Lakland basses, and had a NEW Lakland version of his original Fender (with the sunburst body and the maple fingerboard). Unless you want to build your own, or go through the Fender Custom shop (which is a waste), or buy an orignal, you might call Dan and see if he could piece one together for you out of Skyline parts. You could get an Orborne sunburst body with a jazz neck that they would normally use for a '70's style Marcus Miller-esque bass.

4. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    I got a jazz standard MIM with an american neck. It looks just like the one you mentioned Adam Clayton had, sunburst body, and maple neck. I got mine for $375 used and its great. Try searching for used upgraded basses, you might find something.

and no. i'm not selling mine, sorry;)

Good luck on your search!!!!

5. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    OK, Adam got a real deal '62 stack-knobber a while back. He recorded the last album with it. He's so used to the maple '72 P neck he's been playing forever that he threw that neck on the '62 for the road...that's no reissue!

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I used to own a 1960 stack knob - I don't recall that any stack knobs were still made in 1962. FWIW, I much prefer the stack knob jazzes.