Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass (MIM) Pup Mounting

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RedVette, Jan 1, 2005.

1. RedVette

RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    I have a fairly new J Bass that has the neck Pup miss mounted. The side nearest the neck is quite a bit higher than the side nearest the bridge. I want to straighten it up, but I don't want to start without knowing how the Pup is mounted. I removed the pick guard and I can't quite determine if the adjustment screws are just wood screws or go into some sort of fixture. All I can really see is that the Pup rides on top of some sort of foam. The whole assembly is crooked -- that is -- the screws are not perpendicular to the face of the body.

Any information appreciated.

(I have looked everywhere for a picture or something to guide me -- no luck).

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    In every J bass I've tinkered around with, the four pickup screws go all the way from the pickup "shoulders" into the body itself. Usually, under the shoulders, there will be small springs - so when you loosen the screw, the spring will push the pickup upward, allowing you to set height.

I did fool with one bass (not a J) where foam was packed under the pup, rather than springs, but the concept was the same - something with stored (compressed) energy, which would push the pup upward as you lengthen the distance between the body and the head of the screw.

If you need to, you should be able to remove the strings, unscrew the crooked pickup, and reinstall pup, springs (or foam) with realigned screws - it really isn't very tricky; nothing to be afraid of.

3. RedVette

RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    Thanks. I suspected as much. I may have to drill new holes to align with the pick guard opening, but that won't be terribly hard.