Jazz bass: MIM vs. Geddy vs. Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SansFret, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Here is my story.

I have a serions GAS attack for a Fender Jazz. There will be one in my hands in a near future, that's for sure.

My problem is that I cannot try those 3 models one after the other : there is only one Fender dealer in my area, and they do not hold all 3 models.

That's where I need your help. After doing a search on the forum but could not find this specific answer, I would like to hear from TBers who have tried these 3 basses. How do they compare, what's the best value... all input would be welcome before my 500 km drive to go and buy one...

2. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    MIM Deluxe Active. A notch above the rest, even the American standards.
  3. +1 for MIM Deluxe.

Check any CIJ as well.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    When comparing the three you mention, you need to decide whether you want a conventional Jazz with two single coil pickups, or a P/J configuration as on the Aerodyne.

If you want the traditional Jazz single coils, I'd go with the Geddy Lee, which has better pickups and hardware than the MIM Jazz. It's a big favorite around here and a huge seller for Fender, for good reason.
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I'd definitely go with a Geddy Lee Jazz..... superb bass, great sounds and excellent value for money.
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I love my Aerodyne: looks cool, lightweight body. I didn't like the pups. Too noisy, so I repalced them with Seymour 1/4 pouders.

The Geddy bass IMHO is a Jazz with a Badass bridge. I viewed this with interest as I'm considering a Badass on my Aerodyne. I like the idea of this as I hate to do a physical alteration to a bass, if you can get what you want from fender. (I think the Marcus Milelr signature bass has a Badass as well.)

MIMs are great. I have a MIM Jazz fretless. The quality is not as consistent as their MIA and MIJ counterparts. You might have to try a few before you get one youa re happy with.
  7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Does it absolutely, positively have to say Fender on the headstock? Or are you open to, say, Lakland?
  8. OK, as I see it,

I have a MIM Classic 60's which is fantastic. absolutely love it to death, its got growl and sweets and its superb construction, nevermind the MIM bull.

I have also tried out the other 2 models. the Geddy lee is pretty simular to the Classic 60s, though its sharper sounding, less Vintage sounding.
    The Aerodyne is extremely light, and looks fantastic in all black, it has a really nice sound, though I think for some reason its a bit more limited in tonality... I can pull quite a bit of diferent sounds out of the classic 60's that I cant in the Aerodyne.
  9. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I'd go for the Geddy, great bass. It has that thing going on how the harder you dig in, the more it growls.
  10. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I've been looking for a Jazz Bass myself. Have not seen an Aerodyne, but have played both the Geddy (two different Geddys) and several MIMs @ GC and SMASH. IMHO the Geddy blows the MIMs away, but that may due to the fact that I haven't been able to find 1 MIM that was set up properly.
  11. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
  12. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The Geddy is AMAZING. Do a search here and you will see that it is a part of several players' arsenals (Mine included!). For the price I think it is the best jazz on the market including the Joe Osborn Skyline Lakland et. al.

I just hope you like black ;)

speaking of, I just added a spoke wheel truss rod nut (so that you can adjust the truss w/o taking the neck off) and new black pickguard to my Geddy, and it looks sweet in all black.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for the Geddy. The MIM is ok for the price, but they are pretty inconsistent. The Aerodynes I have played don't sound as good as my Geddy. It is totally stock, has great growl, and a great slap tone.
  14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Geddy... BIG TIME. 2nd choice, MIM Deluxe, but I'd definitely wanna' play one before buying... not real consistent... plus, nice basses for sure, but not totally the classic J tone like the GL, either. I get tons of compliments on mine... both live and in the studio. Sound engineers eat its tone like candy.
  15. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I own three different Jazz Basses, from three different eras .... a '73, a '94, and a brand new '05. I'll cover each independently ...

'73 - Natural finish with maple neck and black block inlays. Has a Badass and Seymour Duncans installed, and new Schaller tuners (I have all the original stuff though). Has that classic vibe and feel, and is probably the most comfortable bass I own. Paid $1350 for it from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville about 3 years ago.

'94 - Made in Japan, Sunburst finish. Modified like my '73. Maple neck with mother of pearl or whatever it is they use inlays. Has tones similar to my '73, but doesn't feel as comfortable. Cost $450 when new.

'05 Jazz Bass Deluxe - Active electronics, different body shape, lighter than my '94 or '73. Maple neck with abalone dot inlays. Nice neck, active electronics. Nice feel, very comfortable, ****ty bridge (Fender bridges, regardless of generation, suck horribly IMHO). Strings through body which add to sustain. More "modern" sounding than my '73 or '94. Bought it in Korea, and paid about $500 more than I could have bought it for in the States (not much of a choice - everything else was made in Korea and just SUCKED, to me at least!).

What to go with?

Try every Jazz you can get your hands on. Whether it's made in the US, Japan, Mexico, or Timbuktu, you'll know it when you play it. Wish it were easier, but there you have it!

Best of luck,

16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The geddy comes with the free BadAssII.
  17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Don't discount the Highway 1 Jazz. They are quite good in their own right and IMO better than most of the MIMs (which I think are generally decent).

18. I'd just like to make a point here guys... Mims are not Mims... the Mim STANDARDS are inconsistent, where-as the mim Classic 60's are probably some of the best basses fender makes at this moment.
  19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Deluxe MIM's are very good as well.
  20. It's not that it has to say Ferder on the headstock.... It's a budget thing. If I had money and a lot of basses available for a test drive where I live, maybe I'd go for something else.

Thanks for the input, it's very appreciated. :bassist: