1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Mod Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dcbassist5, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    so I primarily play Fender Jazz basses (Adam Clayton Signature and 2 Custom shops).

I really don't use the volume or tone knobs at all, as I primarily run them full out all the time.

IF I were to get blank control plates and run my Pickups straight to the input effectively removing ALL knobs from the bass, would this be as simple as placing a 1M Res inline to achieve the same result as having all knobs full out? (250 K x2 for vol and 500 for tone) Any disadvantages? Any specific Res that would be best?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. I believe you'll need a 375K (please correct me if I'm wrong) resistor, not a cap.

3. dcbassist5

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    You're right on Res. I edited my question. I was assuming 250K per volume pot x2 and then 500k for tone so total Res is 1M? But since they are technically in series you may be right!

I should know this sh$t by now....lol

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I'm curious as to why not wire both pickups directly to the jack?

lz4005 likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Output jack.

Bodeanly and Sartori like this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a pity, some really good tones to be had by running one pickup higher than the other.

if you're a rock guy, the neck by itself might actually be a bigger, ballsier sound than both full up, especially with a pick.

ptensioned, jumbodbassman and SteveCS like this.
  7. I was assuming 250K for all. In that case, I believe 625K of resistance would be correct, since the two pickups are in parallel, not series.

8. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    If by "full out" you mean turned up all the way, maximum volume, then that would be no resistance at all.

rufus.K likes this.
  9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Wondering the same thing , why any resistors at all?

10. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    If you put all those resistors in series you will have no output.
    First off, the tone pot has no load, so ignore it.
    Second in VVT with two 250k pots dimed, the load is 125k between hot and ground, ie parallel not series.

11. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ?

the tone pot does have a load, on "10" it's 250k just like the volume pots.

so the total load is 250k in parallel x3, for like 83.3kΩ total.

that said, there's no law that we have to have the exact same total load here; no load at all would be really bright and edgy, a 500k resistor a little less so but still pretty grindy, and 250k in the realm of "normal" but a bit brighter.

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    nope and nope.

typical stock is all three pots 250k, and like @SteveCS says they're all in parallel.

13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    How can the tone pot have a load when there is a DC blocking capacitor in series with it?

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    because the signal in question is AC, and at the low levels that get through to the cap when the tone is dimed the cap acts like a straight piece of wire. the load created is just that of the pot itself, and acts just like the load created by the volume pot(s).

c'mon, you know this! a 500k tone dimed sounds brighter than a 250k tone dimed, and a no-load tone sounds brighter still.

15. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Sure, but I would only consider that true an octave or so above the cutoff frequency - remember it's only a first-order filter. At the operating range of the bass I would not include the tone pot in the caculation. Maybe I should stop overthinking things... :)

16. jeffreylee

jeffreylee

Jan 6, 2013
    For the record, I installed a volume and tone bypass in my P bass as another tonal option and it DOES sound drastically different to running tone and volume on 10. It's like having a bright switch. There's a real metallic clank which I find really useful in some songs and with certain overdrive settings.

17. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Im wondering what the point would be of taking the controls out, then trying to replicate the tone with the controls in place. I put my old set of Dimarzio Model-J's in my Jazz Bass 24 (which tend to be darker PUs anyway). I pulled out all of the horrible active electronics and wired the PUs right to the jack using only a 3 way selector switch in between. I like the setup and the sound. The only thing I sometimes miss is being able to mute the bass by rolling the volumes down.
    If you like the sound of your current setup with everything on full, I would just leave it alone and keep everything on 11!

SteveCS and bassstrangler like this.
  18. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Is there room in the cavity to just take the knobs off the pots and let them just chill in there with a blank plate on the bass? As in, not rewiring anything, but just tucking the existing pots inside so you can't change them?

dcbassist5 likes this.
  19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Input - because you're plugging into the bass' electronics.

20. dcbassist5

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Valid point. I am a pretty physically active player and don't really want the possibility of inadvertently moving controls during performance. It's happened a few times. Not really a huge deal but was investigating the possibility. I also sweat a lot and they're more things that can get corroded etc...