1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkigstpy, May 25, 2011.

1. kkigstpy

kkigstpy

Jan 6, 2011
    Hey ppl of talkbass. Errm. I am probably purchasing a fender jazz bass soon, probably the deluxe active model or standard and umm I was wondering. Is there some way to remove the pick guard and add a precision pickup in between the jazz pickups and leave it at no pick guard or a modded pick guard? If this is possible how much would the mod cost? Sorry for such a weird question :p

2. You might struggle to fit in in there, it might fit, but it'd be pretty tight.

It is easy enough to remove the pickguard, but you'll likely be exposing routes in the body.

You'd need to route a new hole for the P-pup.

You'd need to modify the electronics (how do you want to control it).

All of these things are possible, but you will kill the re-sale value. It won't sound like a P-bass because the pickup is out of position. And it would need a fair bit of body routing and rewiring the electronics.

Don't know where you are, but over here I think it would probably set you back a couple hundred pounds, at least, for the body work and electronics. Pickup expense obv. depends on the pickup. This is a guess at costs, as I tend to do work no my basses myself.

Have you considered the Stu Hamm Urge Bass?

[​IMG]

Looks different, the neck J is closer to the neck and the asthetics are a bit different, but it gives you what you are looking at.

3. Lennihems

Lennihems

Apr 20, 2011
    I remember from a previous thread that there was a company that made a split pick up that fit into the j cavity, can't remember the brand though.

4. kkigstpy

kkigstpy

Jan 6, 2011
    Wow thx for the info! Yes I have seen that bass before but it seemed expensive for what I thought would be an easy job but now I know better. I think I'll pass on the mods now that I know it's pretty pricey.
    If I need a p bass sound in the future I'll prob just get the vintage modified p bass the one with the amber finish. Not sure how the maple body and fingerboard would sound tho gotta check it someday
    Thanks man