1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass modded with Gibson pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jonreedsoula1, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jonreedsoula1

jonreedsoula1

Mar 29, 2015
    Hi everyone.
    I recently had my jazz bass fitted with a big chrome humbucker that would find in the neck of a Gibson bass. I was finding the jazz a bit thin sounding compared to my 57 p bass reissue, i also thought it would look really cool and quite unique which it does.

As expected it now sounds massive. Very fat and full ~ except the low E string which is just quieter than all other strings.when fretted it's pretty much ok (although still not as thumpy and full as the p bass) but when open theres a big lack of volume.

Has anyone else any experience like this? Any suggestions?
    I think this thread may have ro go in the setup forum as im suspecting it may be the nut but it was fine before the mod. Pick up height all ok.

Thanks in advance.

2. jonreedsoula1

jonreedsoula1

Mar 29, 2015
    received_10101056763754372.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Have you tried raising the E polepiece? I think those pickups have adjustable pole pieces, don't they? Or just raising that side of the pickup?

4. jonreedsoula1

jonreedsoula1

Mar 29, 2015
    Hi, yeah that I have that polr piece a lot higher than the others but it makes littles difference. When it's fretted its pretty much ok but when the string is open it's quieter. This is what's making me think its the nut.

5. Are you using flats? I've had a similar problem on my SG in the past with the silks at the bridge end resting on the saddle. Trimming the silk back to get metal on the saddle cured it, but I don't know that this is your issue.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i hate to say it, but there are reasons you don't usually see wacky pickup combinations on basses in stores, and the reasons are usually like this one.