Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I took my MIM Fretless Jazz into the shop to get a Music Man pickup put in the neck position, rewired Volume-Blend-Tone, with a new nut, and BEAD tuning (I love low B on a fretless). I should be getting it back in a few days, whence it shall be redubbed The Plow. I'm excited - I don't think I've ever seen a Jazz as such.

Comments? I'll try and get pics up when I get it.

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'd be curious to see how you like the sound. And, of course, I dig the Berry Oakley reference!
    (For the uninitiated: his Jazz had a big (Guild?) humbucker added at the neck, and he called it "The Tractor.")

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    MIMs and lowBs aint that good combo beliveme.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It turned out really cool. Guy threw in a pearloid pickgaurd, probably because he wrecked the last one cutting it. The Basslines pickup sounds huge. The tuning really seems to match it, also - very dirty, ugly, grindish ... yet that cleans up once the bridge pickup is blended in. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

5. Groove_Master

Groove_Master Guest

Feb 29, 2004
    Turkey
    show the pics :p i can imagine a jazz bass with humbuckers.. weird :p

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I want pictures, but what sparked this intersest?

7. For a second I thought he said the MM was at the bridge, Now that Ive reread, Im really interested on knowing what It looks like, PICS :hyper: .

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I bet it's got punch out the wazoo. I'd prefer the MM in the bridge, or both, but nonetheless, it's good that you like it.