Jazz Bass mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 20, 2006.

1. how have you modded your jazz basses...im more interested in pickup configs....ive had an inkling for a modded jazz bass...thinking a stu hamm style pickup config and a kahler trmolo....something along those lines:D
  2. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I took a SX 75J in 3TS (black blocks and binding) and attacked it with these mods:

-Tusq Nut
    -Dimarzio UJs
    -Dunlop straplocks
    -rewire the electronics to V/B/T with a mini-toggle for Ser/Par

The electronic mods are still in the works, as I need to order some Orange drop caps to complete that part, and I want to get a Hipshot 3-string retainer. I've gotta get back to work on that poor bass, the guts are just hanging out all over the place. I've been a bit distracted with my Glaub. :smug:

I was thinking about later routing a cavity for a reversed-P pickup in place of the neck J pickup, and either dropping in a J-Retro or Peizo pickups, or both. That's most likely just the morning-caffeine-routine speaking, though.

For now I'm going to put the stock bridge back on so I can fit the chrome covers, and shop around for some good vintage-style pups. I've got a set of TI Flats coming in, so I'm retro-fying my bass. I might call it the "Chameleon," because it'll take about maybe 10-15 minutes to swap pickups and bridges, and I'll have a completely different sounding bass. :D

*edit* I forgot to add that I plan on stripping the neck finish in favor of Tung oil, and I need a good fret leveling.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    A little info on my MIJ '75 Reissue Fender Jazz Bass:

The finish has been stripped of the back of the neck and the frets have been properly dressed. Bartolini pickups replaced the stock stuff. I had a local luthier do a rear route for a 3 band eq Bartolini Preamp and a battery compartment. Also, he put in a flush mount barrel jack coming off the bottom corner of the bass. The stock bridge has been replaced in favor of a Badass II. Also, the stock nut has been replaced with a graphite one. And last but not least, the cosmetic stuff. I've replaced the pickguard many times starting from the stock white to white pearloid to black pearloid to settling on just black. The white pearloid will always be an old favorite of mine, but for now its the black. Also replaced the stock knobs with the classic chrome dome barrel knobs.

4. Aw come on. Do a search. This topic has been beaten to death.
  5. Xgabriel, your MIJ looks SWEET!
  6. aw come on...searching sucks
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    For years I played US Jazz basses modded with EMG pickups and Badass II bridges. That's it. This really seemed to do the trick for me. Then I discovered the wonderful world of G&L and now do nothing but plug those puppies in a play. Well...change the strings from time to time.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

Thank you very much!!! :hyper:
  9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I put a Badass II bridge and the moto pickguard on this bass. It genuinely needed the bridge since the original bridge is in quite the state of disrepair. One of the previous owners is responsible for moving the thumbrest. Other than that though, this '73 is still using stock parts.