Jazz Bass - necessity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nastyn8c, Feb 24, 2005.

1. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Currently I play rock in one band, which my Lakland 55-94 is perfect in. But I also back up a show choir, and most of the stuff we play is jazz, and some classic rock. I am looking into getting a MIM Standard Passive Jazz, but I have a few questions:

1) How necessary is it to have a jazz bass in my arsenal?
    2) What are the advantages?
    3) Since I have never owned a passive before, what are the pros/cons?
  2. The Lakland 55-94 is a fine bass and I believe that you can get a believable Jazz vibe from one (running your MM pup in split coil mode). When you bypass the preamp, that's passive. So, in effect, you HAVE owned a passive before.

If you play a lot of jazz...get a jazz...but get a fretless...then you'll have some real variety in your arsenal.
  3. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Get an SX bass instead of a Fender MIM. They're better, just read the Essex Megathread.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    10-4 Yeap, the Lakland will get close, I agree. Great bass. Keep it, no wait, sell it to me.
  5. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You have a great bass, I think that will giev you the tone you are looking for (or very, very close). If you want a Jazz vibe, get a Fender Jazz, man! It is about the tone, sure - but I think they have great necks and look awesome.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

if you hang around here long enough, you'll probably end up just like most everyone else around here... owning a multi-bass arsenal with a Lakland, Jazz Bass, P-Bass, Sadowsky, F Bass, Zon, MTD, Spector, Musicman, Fodera, Nordstrand, SX... I'm sure that I missed a few...

In all seriousness, a Jazz is a must have if you're going to own more than 1 or 2 basses. It's a classic. just MHO.

:bassist: :hyper: :bassist:
  7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Lakland 55-01...

Or Lakland JO...

Both are like jazz basses, just much better.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, a J is not necessary at all. Only if you want the particular sound it gives. It's a classic for what it does (and I think it has one of the best body shapes ever), but there's no earthly reason why every bassist needs one. It's sorta like saying that every driver needs a Jeep.
  9. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    All right, two more questions:
    1) Will a MIM standard jazz get me "the tone," or is the only way to get it a better model?
    2) You guys say I can get close with my 55-94; what settings do I need to try?
  10. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Based on my personal experience, I agree with Joshua on the tone issue.

I owned a 55-94 Deluxe with Barts, and I tried every combination of coil and preamp tone settings to get a genuine Jazz Bass tone. You can get close, but no cigar, as they say. Other issues that impact tone and cause the difference between the Fender Jazz and the 55-94(respectively) are:

34" vs 35" scale, yes this affects tone.

true single coil vs 55-94s J+dual coil pick-up configuration,
    the different manufacturers PU windings specs.

no graphite bars vs graphite bars in neck.

passive vs active preamp/passive configuration

neck and body wood densities differ

In the final days with my 55-94, I reconciled myself to accept the 55-94 for what I believe she was designed for. To be a blend of two great basses, the Fender Jazz and the Musicman, but without being an exact tonal replication of either. 55-94s have their own sound, albeit a blend of two well known basses. After reaching that realization, I stopped trying to find that elusive Jazz bass tone on her and just went forward enjoying her sounding like a 55-94.

That said, I must say that a 55-94 with Duncans will get a lot closer to a Musicman tone than I've heard any 55-94 copping a Jazz bass tone.
  11. gfab has hit the button on one issue - hang around here enough and you will end up with enough basses to sink a decent sized ship.
  12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Personally I think a Fretless should be manditory.