1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Jazz Bass neck alignment.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SGT. BAKER, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Miscon-what-ed? When is the last time you strued anything?

I never have. 'Strue.

Oops - I guess I just did.

steve_rolfeca and sissy kathy like this.
  2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    's not.

Isn't there an old joke about how you can unstrue a lightbulb?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the word you're both looking for is "jargon", those weird but specific technical terms that don't make sense unless you're in that field.

SGT. BAKER likes this.
  4. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Which field? Cornfield? Tried standing there - still didn't make any sense.

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    As usual, you are correct.

We've always thought you were out standing in your field.

6. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    More constructive that outfielding in the stands. (There's one for Joshua)

7. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Chuckleheads.

:D

8. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I'm in the same boat right now, having drilled a neck for one body, but switching to another. How do I put a "plug" into it? What do I use that has the grain running in the right direction? Thanks!

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    annoying, usually if the bodies are drilled right you can just throw the neck on there.

which aspect is "wrong" or at least non-standard? i'd correct that, whatever it is.

10. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    It's a mighty mite going from one squire body to another. Can't believe how far apart the holes are. I'm going to try golf tees to plug it.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    You turned a nearly unplayable instrument into something that works for you, I'll call that a success. Lots of free advice available here on B, its a goldmine. If you find the neck screws getting loose again, consider a set of plug cutters like these, that allow you to cut either straight or tapered plugs with the right grain direction:
    QST 8pcs Wood Plug Cutter Cutting Tool Drill Bit Set Straight and Tapered Taper 5/8" 1/2" 3/8" 1/4" Woodworking Cork Drill Bit Knife - - Amazon.com

A better long term solution is threaded metal inserts like these:
    Amazon.com: 8-32 Threaded Inserts (8 per Pack): Home Improvement

You would probably want something in a metric size, using metric machine screws. Now that you see you can do this kind of work yourself if you do some research, good luck with more mods/repairs.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021