Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass necks on non-fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Atef, May 16, 2004.

1. I love the feel of Fender Jazz necks, but I'd like to know which other basses, from other companies(preferably, larger companies, Idon't have a lot of choice here) have the same kind of necks?

2. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    Musicman's Sterling

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my Godin SD has a neck that is very comparable to a jazz bass neck. I have yet to hold one side by side, but i belive it is just a tad wider (just a tad) and has a little more meat to it at the nut, but not much. Godin Freeways have the same neck i believe.

4. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    "G&L JB2" It is the #6 neck inparticular that is on the JB2. Others are offered at request but that is the most Fender like. 7 1/2" radius and 1 1/2" nut. exactly the Amer Series Jazz and better build quality too !!!! Avalible in gloss finish,satin,binders or no binders. Awesome

5. Hamer USA Cruise Bass, USA Guild Pilots.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    most people are usually either pbass neck people or j bass neck people. I am a pbass neck person and i was told that like 70% of basses are jazz bass neck profiles, so odds are most basses have necks similiar to jazz bass necks. All my basses have pbass neck or simliar thick necks on them. So a stingrays, warwicks, and spectors are not what your looking for i guess. Just cuz im such a musicman fan ill def reccomend the sterling, i just dont like it as much as the stingray cuz of the neck, but a killer bass none the less.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree that most people will either like a jazz bass neck or a p bass neck. Im strangly inbetween. I like a p bass tone better, yet i like a jazz bass neck better. Yet.... i think a jazz bass neck is a little too skinny, whereas a p basses is fine. THerefore putting me at the conclusion that i like a p bass better as a whole. Maybe thats why my favorite Fender is a MIJ jazz bass special..man i want one.

8. I usually lean towards Precision basses but I also have a couple of jazz type basses as well. I think that 1.625 (1 5/8") at the nut can be a good compromise.

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Lakland: Joe Osborn or Daryl Jones (Skyline or USA models). :D

10. Well, I own a squier P at the moment, which is a fine instrument, but I'm thinking about upgrading this summer, and after playing a few basses at a local store(a few jazzes, no P's I'v got an ok P-bass now, so why have a new more expensive one, some warwick Rockbasses(definatly not for me really), a SUB (this came second after the jazzes), a few ibanezes(not for me), corts(not for me), jay turser beatle bass(it appealed to me as a beatle fan, but in the few minutes I played it I hated the short scale), and some yamaha's(not bad)

so, it's probably gonna be a jazz kind of thing, but I'm looking to try out a rickenbacker and an epiphone jack cassady, I really fancy them, but can't find any shops in the Netherlands that carry them, and the rickenbacker will be too expensive so in that case I should look for a nice used(though I'm always willing to go used)

any tips?

the lakland darryl Jones would be worth a try too