Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Necks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marco_e, Mar 8, 2006.

1. marco_e

marco_e

Jan 16, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    So, jazz basses have thinner necks? Does that mean thinner like when you're facing the bass looking at the strings, or thinner when looking at the bass sideways? Sorry for the silly question :meh:.

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

i think they are thinner sideways.

or maybe both. Most Ps ive played feel chunkier. but im not fully sure which way it is chunkier.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    They're narrower, ie, the nut is only 1.5 inches wide... whereas a P-Bass is something like 1.75 inches wide.

This means the string spacing is more narrow, too.

4. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841

May 29, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Which is why you want to play a jazz, if you have small hands like me (I love my sterling's jazz-style neck too!) :bassist:

Holding a thin jazz neck in your hands is like holding a small girl in your arms -- it just feels great, but a fat neck, -- well you get the idea. :D

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    ...feels like a WOMAN!

6. i'm kinda startin to think my fingers are TOO big for a jazz to the point where it's uncomfortable. but i'm not sure. my p-bass's neck is putting my wrist through hell. a stingrays neck is PERFECT though

7. marco_e

marco_e

Jan 16, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks. Also, when a bass' scale length is 34'', does that mean the neck itself is 34'' or the neck and the head of the neck, or what?

8. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    from the nut to the bridge isthe scale length.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jazz's are skinnier in both respects. WIdth, and thickness.

10. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Standard Jazz Bass width at the nut is 1.5".

The depth of the neck has varied widely over the years and with different models and origin of manufacture. Generally the Jazz neck has less depth than a P-Bass but there are exceptions. For example, I have a Japanese P-Bass here that has less neck depth than my 66 Jazz.