Jazz Bass Necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Mar 28, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi There, bit of a tricky question this one but here goes-

Q. My all time favourite bass neck is the Stuart Spector NS4 (a bass i already own), so i'm looking for a jazz bass neck similar to the feel of that neck.

The reason i ask this strange question is I'm planning to get "Sei basses" to build me a Jazz, But over the years i have made many mistakes by buying basses with very awkward necks i.e. string spacing & width etc.

What is the closest string spacing you can get on a Jazz by any company? Lull, Sadowsky & the obvious one FENDER.

Do Sadowsky bass neck's have a very playable feel?

Love the The graphite flea bass, but the neck is very wide and sometimes VERY difficult to play, shame that.

NECKS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR ON A BASS!!!

Rock on!!!

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Isn't the neck on the Flea Bass 1.56" wide at the nut? That's just a tad thicker than a jazz.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If your getting a bass built, then you can tell them what you want the string spacing to be. You can also get ahold of Fenders custom shop and tell them you want a jazz bass made to whatever your specifications will be. Im sure other companies will do this too. They'll do most anything for a buck.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Careful there!:eek:

One thing I noticed recently is that my Spector NS-4, which was built in 1995, has a completely different shaped neck and narrower string spacing than 2 different Spectors I tried out recently.

I'd suggest you do your best to take measurements and provide the measurements to the luthier.

I agree with you that it's a great feeling neck, though.:D