Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Mar 28, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi There, bit of a tricky question this one but here goes-

Q. My all time favourite bass neck is the Stuart Spector NS4 (a bass i already own), so i'm looking for a jazz bass neck similar to the feel of that neck.

The reason i ask this strange question is I'm planning to get "Sei basses" to build me a Jazz, But over the years i have made many mistakes by buying basses with very awkward necks i.e. string spacing & width etc.

What is the closest string spacing you can get on a Jazz by any company? Lull, Sadowsky & the obvious one FENDER.

Do Sadowsky bass neck's have a very playable feel?

Love the The graphite flea bass, but the neck is very wide and sometimes VERY difficult to play, shame that.

NECKS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR ON A BASS!!!

Rock on!!!

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Isn't the neck on the Flea Bass 1.56" wide at the nut? That's just a tad thicker than a jazz.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If your getting a bass built, then you can tell them what you want the string spacing to be. You can also get ahold of Fenders custom shop and tell them you want a jazz bass made to whatever your specifications will be. Im sure other companies will do this too. They'll do most anything for a buck.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Careful there!:eek:

One thing I noticed recently is that my Spector NS-4, which was built in 1995, has a completely different shaped neck and narrower string spacing than 2 different Spectors I tried out recently.

I'd suggest you do your best to take measurements and provide the measurements to the luthier.

I agree with you that it's a great feeling neck, though.:D