Jazz bass or Explorer Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Explorer76, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Explorer76

Feb 21, 2002
    I narrowed my selection down to two choices. In your experience which bass would you pick. I've decided it will either be the Fender Std. Jazz bass or the Gibson Explorer bass. I've heard that you can never go wrong with the jazz bass, but what about the Explorer? Also how do you feel about buying used?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gibson Explorer? Have you played one? How about the Fender Jazz?

Many people feel you can't go wrong with a Fender Jazz. But, do you feel that way, too?
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love the shape of the Explorer bass (I won't comment on tone; that's personal preference). However: they tend to neck-dive like crazy because they lack an upper horn to balance the bass when using a strap.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, looking at your username, I suspect you've already made your choice!
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The Jazz bass is a classic. I don't much about the tonal characteristics of an Explorer bass but I have had some experience with the guitar and the neck dive drove me crazy. If you can tolerate that and the fact that it's not the most comfortable thing to play whilst seated, then I suppose it's down to personal preference...
  6. How's the tone in Explorer basses? I've had my eye on the Epiphone Korina Explorer for quite a while. What is the tone of Korina like?
  7. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont like the Jazz bass honk
    i guess the explorer wont have that honk so i will say the Explorer! It also looks heaps better!!
  8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    It sounds like the two choices for you are a MIM Jazz or an epiphone explorer. These two are completely different animals, I would say go for the one that sounds right to you, b/c any comparison would not mostly be one better than another, but just differences in type.