1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass or P bass? Vintage or Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeremyJJackson, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    Well im getting a new bass and i want a fender... i like the sound of the p bass slightly better than the jazz but they discontinued the natural finish with a white pickguard in the p bass which is what i want and you can still get it with the jazz bass. (does fender have a custom shop where i can get a p-bass in that coloring made?) And what is the difference between vintage and standard excluding the price??

2. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I believe vintage has vintage style pickups, and the standard ones might be slightly "hotter" sounding. Not sure what any other differences may be, but I know others here will. If you like the P-bass only slightly better then the Jazz, it might be easier ti just go with the Jazz, of course this is all subjective.

Fender sure does have a custom shop, and they'll do whatever you want for a price.
    Here's the link
    http://www.fender.com/customshop/home/index.php

And you could always take a P-bass and sand off the finish and have it sealed, of course that takes time and money too.

Happy hunting!

3. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    Ok cool thanks. And another question, when you go to the fender website and choose a bass you can click on a color chart which shows a bunch of different color schemes. Can you choose from any of those and order one in?

4. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I don't believe so. Maybe with the custom shop, but not every finish is available on any bass as a rule, as far as I know. Hope you manage to get the one you want.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Custom Shop Fenders cost literally twice as much as regular Fenders, FYI.

Your best bet is to keep an eye on Ebay and the TB classifieds until the color/configuration you want shows up, and it will.

6. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    ok sounds good. I was planning around spending 2000 ish so ill see what pops up.

7. Depend's what kind of music you playin'. P bass is way better for rock, and jb for all kind of music, but jb doesn't have that deep sounding groove..
    And I would buy vintage...

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Jeremy, check our TB classified ads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531072

9. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    I was looking for an American made one sorry. That one is a mexico and im not a fan.

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you want a bass that is a bit of the best of both worlds(Precision and Jazz), you could check out the American Precision Deluxe. It has a humbucking "dual Jazz" pickup in the bridge and the standard split coil precision pickup. It does come in a Natural finish(amber), and you could just pick up a white guard for it. They are nice basses.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147