1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass or stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 29, 2002.

1. I'm really unhappy with my stingray 5, and since it's really new, I could probably get a good price selling it. You have to have perfect tecnique to keep it from making noise, and the g string's crap.

I'm thinking of getting a passive Fender American Jazz bass. It might not give me an original sound, but I know that it'll work with whatever I do without any complaints. It won't be a problem with anything.

Good idea or bad idea. Most people on this board would take a MM over a jazz bass anyday. Thoughts? Should I get the J (if i can sell the ray first)

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    What kind of music do you play ? What kind of sound are you looking for ?

All the best,

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm.. I've never had a problem with excessive noise comming from my stingray5.... and I look for those kinds of things... I don't have perfect technique either.. i have good technique but I think the problem may not be with you but the bass.. maybe it needs to be setup properly.. I know the stingray isn't for everyone... but it sure does have a lovely tone that you just can't get from anything else.. thats why I like it :) best of luck with your bass troubles