jazz bass p/ups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by staurosjohn, Mar 21, 2011.

1. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I am a bit dim when it comes to Fender single coil p/ups... (I have been a life-long Rickenbacker man)... anyway- I just got a 2010 Amer. Jazz... don't understand the hum when they are at different volumes... I am not really interested in why they do it... I just want to know if Fender noisless p/us will eliminate the "hum"... and is it a good idea for my bass?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes, you will notice that when the two volume controls are not at the same relative positions to each other that the single coil hum shows up; this is due to the two pickups being one wide humbucking pickup only when they are both set to the same level. The volume controls can be full up or at 75%, whatever, as long as they are both set the same, the hum will be canceled. Rickenbacker's pickups are not wired to act as a big humbucking pickup, although that has never hindered me. :cool:

3. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    thanks- jeff... as i mentioned... the "mechanics" aren't of intetest to me... i just want to get rid of it! a real pain!!

4. Active pickups will get rid of it

5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The Fender noiseless will work as well as a host of other pickups. Anything that says hum canceling, noise canceling, stacked, or split coil.

Some examples include DiMarzio, Lindy Fralin, Nordstrand and some Seymour Duncans. Although there are many others.

@mathewcanhaz-Im not sure thats true if they are still single coil. In any case, I dont think the OP wants to add a preamp to his bass. And active pups without a preamp sound pretty awful.

6. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Ok, how about this: If I use a blend pot and one vol. instead of 2 vol. pots will that cancel the hum through the whole range or only if both p-ups are at 50/50? :help:

7. Just play with them both wide open and use your amp to adjust the volume...problem solved!

8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    With a blend pot, it will hum whenever the blend pot is not set to dead center (i.e. equal blend of both pickups).

9. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1 on the "many others"

one of these would take the hum away, and for those moments you actually want a singlecoil, obviously it is splittable:
    P1010293.jpg

10. Scobac

Scobac

Feb 4, 2011
    Proper grounding gets rid of it also!

11. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    That's EXACTLY what I have always done! But I have often wondered why they were set up that way. Why not just one pickup? If I recall correctly-- you can use either one without the other and get either all treble or all bass with no hum.
    But anyway, I'm happy to finally learn that it wasn't something wrong with my particular bass. Now if I could get the hum out of my GK 200 while it's on standby :)

12. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks!

13. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I have a MIM, run-of-the-mill Fender Jazz with "upgraded" pickups. A picture of the pickups is below. I have been told that these pickups are "active" pickups, but are being used without a preamp. There is no preamp in this bass. I wonder if these pickups are being used wrong. Is it okay to use these pickups in passive mode? Does the sound suffer?

Attached Files:

14. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    BTW, I thought I found this thread in the "Electronics" forum, and cannot explain why it appears to be in the "Basses" forum now.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021