Jazz bass: Pedulla or Sadowsky Metro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amac, Sep 2, 2004.

1. amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    Since I've obtained a Modulus Q5 from ThePerfectBass.com (giveaway), I've been contemplating selling it and getting a jazz bass. I want to expand my palette of tones since I already have a Q6. Otherwise I would hold on to the Q5. Having two beautiful Quantums standing side-by-side will be a missed sight.

I've thought about going with a Pedulla J2 5string, since I had a Pedulla PJ-5string and have been second quessing my decision of returning it ever since. But I've read a bunch of posts on Sadowsky's and have developed a lot of GAS for a metro. Having never played one, has anyone played a metro/NYC Sadowsky and a Pedulla J2 and give me an A/B?

I know different people are going to few the same bass differently, and it's best to play them myself, but I can't get to a Sadowsky at the moment (or can I? Atlanta, GA area). I want the "Jazz" sound, and I've read that Sadowsky is IT, but how does the Pedulla compare?

The metro would be around $2100 (looking at the website), but I could probably acquire a used J2 on ebay for around $1100-1300.
  2. The Atlanta Bass Gallery is supposed to get a few Sadowsky Metros within a couple of weeks. Give them a call.. the phone # is on their Web site, http://www.atlantabassgallery.com.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Raptures are great basses, I own a P/J 5 string and have played a bunch of J2 5'ers. I've also played a bunch of Sadowsky's - NYC/Metros and Tokyos.

If you want "the jazz bass sound", get the Sadowsky. If you want a more modern take on that sound, I'd suggest the Pedulla. Personally, I prefer the Pedulla - it's more the sound I want. But that doesn't take anything away from the Sadowsky's - those are great basses that plenty of people love.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Get what u like. I like Sadowsky

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought a Rapture J-2000 5 string & brought it to the Sadowsky shop (before I worked there) & compared it to a few Sadowsky's. I currently own the Sadowsky I comopared it to. :)

The Rapture is a great bass but for me, the body was a little to small. I need a bass that's gonna hide my gut. :) Also, I liked the Barts in this bass more than other basses equipped with Bart's but the EMG-40J's with the Sadowsky preamp rocks!!!!!

6. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    U.S. 75 re-issue with Bill Lawrence or antiquity 2 pups!!! JK good luck on the choice.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky gets my Vote :bassist:
  8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The Sadowsky will get you further away from the Q6 sound, if that's what you're going for.