1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass: Pedulla or Sadowsky Metro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amac, Sep 2, 2004.

1. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    Since I've obtained a Modulus Q5 from ThePerfectBass.com (giveaway), I've been contemplating selling it and getting a jazz bass. I want to expand my palette of tones since I already have a Q6. Otherwise I would hold on to the Q5. Having two beautiful Quantums standing side-by-side will be a missed sight.

I've thought about going with a Pedulla J2 5string, since I had a Pedulla PJ-5string and have been second quessing my decision of returning it ever since. But I've read a bunch of posts on Sadowsky's and have developed a lot of GAS for a metro. Having never played one, has anyone played a metro/NYC Sadowsky and a Pedulla J2 and give me an A/B?

I know different people are going to few the same bass differently, and it's best to play them myself, but I can't get to a Sadowsky at the moment (or can I? Atlanta, GA area). I want the "Jazz" sound, and I've read that Sadowsky is IT, but how does the Pedulla compare?

The metro would be around $2100 (looking at the website), but I could probably acquire a used J2 on ebay for around $1100-1300.

2. The Atlanta Bass Gallery is supposed to get a few Sadowsky Metros within a couple of weeks. Give them a call.. the phone # is on their Web site, http://www.atlantabassgallery.com.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Raptures are great basses, I own a P/J 5 string and have played a bunch of J2 5'ers. I've also played a bunch of Sadowsky's - NYC/Metros and Tokyos.

If you want "the jazz bass sound", get the Sadowsky. If you want a more modern take on that sound, I'd suggest the Pedulla. Personally, I prefer the Pedulla - it's more the sound I want. But that doesn't take anything away from the Sadowsky's - those are great basses that plenty of people love.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Get what u like. I like Sadowsky

Rob

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought a Rapture J-2000 5 string & brought it to the Sadowsky shop (before I worked there) & compared it to a few Sadowsky's. I currently own the Sadowsky I comopared it to. :)

The Rapture is a great bass but for me, the body was a little to small. I need a bass that's gonna hide my gut. :) Also, I liked the Barts in this bass more than other basses equipped with Bart's but the EMG-40J's with the Sadowsky preamp rocks!!!!!

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    U.S. 75 re-issue with Bill Lawrence or antiquity 2 pups!!! JK good luck on the choice.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky gets my Vote :bassist:

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The Sadowsky will get you further away from the Q6 sound, if that's what you're going for.