1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass pick up set up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3tsb, Apr 16, 2010.

1. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    The sound guy told me that my level dropped whenever I played on my D or G string. I also noticed a level drop on stage. I checked the pick up heights and it seems like the D, G side is lower than the E, A side. Shouldn't the pick up be closer to the D and G strings since the gauge is smaller? He suggested I raise the pick up on that side.

2. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    OK...grab a screwdriver, raise the high side of the pickup a few millimeters and check your levels. Raise/lower until levels are even. Problem solved. I'll be here all weekend. :D

3. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    I'll do that. He was talking about adjusting pole pieces. It seemed a little "putting the cart before the horse". I would think I can even levels just buy adjusting the whole pick up.

4. Some pickups have individually adjustable pole pieces, most jazz bass pickups dont.
    Just raise the treble side a bit till it evens out.

As a general rule, the treble side should be closer than the bass side, and the bridge pickup should be closer than the neck pickup...

After that its just about tweeking it till your happy.