Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass pickguard doesn't fit my new geddy lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, May 20, 2004.

1. I finaly got my Geddy Lee. I ordered it from musiciansfriend because Fender kept putting off the date they would be made. I got it today and I ordered a 3ply black Jazz Bass pickguard too. The pickgaurd has 10 holes. About 8 of them line up, and the 2 near the control panel go too far over, makign things not fit. It also lacks the 11th middle hole. What should I do?

2. the fender japan guards don't line up the same.
    i just put the holes where they should go and moved the
    control plate to compensate.

looks great.

of course that means you will be drilling some fresh holes in your bass but they can't be seen so i wouldn't worry too much!

3. Send it back, and ask for a vintage 11 hole one.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Just drill the holes that don't match. Fender make soooo many different pg/s that you'll probably never get the right one if you send it back.

You could send your original p/g to Chandler & they an copy that exactly, but that might be too costly.

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003

I just went through the same thing with my '97 J. If I was willing to spend about $65 plus shipping, I could have had one made that would have the holes lined up all nice and purty. Instead, I bought one of ebay for $18 shipped and had to do some fill and drill. Had to do that with all but 3 holes but the bass looks pretty sweet now.

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I got lucky with a MIA pickguard that fit my MIM body. Other than the truss rod slot, it's perfect.

7. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Don't drill new holes in your brand new Jazz. If you keep it long enough it will be something you regret as the bass gets older and older.Before you know it 15-20 years goes by and you got a bass with drill holes in it that are not factory. I know they're under the pickguard but if you do try and sell it the buyer will ask about the non original guard and learn about the added holes.
    Best thing to do is send the original to Chandler and they will use it as a template for a new,high quality, multyply guard that will fit perfect. No I have no connection with Chandler but their system and product seem to be best when I was looking into this.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I ordered a black 11 hole p/g from StewMac for my GL, it should get here today / tomorrow. I'll report in once I've tried it out

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I really think that's a non-issue. It's not like the Japanese made Fenders are considered collector's items. 20 yr MIJ don't go for that much & I doubt that (if he still has the bass in 25+ years) if he deceided to sell it, someone will ask, "Can you take off the PG so I can see if it's original".

10. LOL!

11. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Ordinarily, I'd agree wth this and I'd never drill in my Lakland. The Fender's not something that I really treasure though, just a temporary tool. If I planned on hanging onto it for a while that's one thing.

12. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I put an official Fender American black pearloid pickguard on my Geddy Lee. Yes, a few holes didn't line up. I filled those with wood filler and drilled new ones. I also had to carefully shave the pickguard down around the neck pocket and control plate to make it fit perfectly. The extra hole? Eh, who cares! It gets covered up anyway. ;)

13. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I see you took my advice about musiciansfriend.com

Enjoy your new bass!!

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I think that 3 or 4 holes didn't line up on my black pearl pickguard that I got for my G. Lee. I figured that everything was secure with the screws that were lined up so what I did was cut off the heads of some of the pickguard screws and super glued them to the pickguard. It looks great and I drilled no new holes.

BTW, Lizzy's GL was the inspiration for my addition of the pearl pickguard. ;)

15. Metania

Metania

Oct 15, 2011
    Denmark
    Orthodox Theology, Byzantine History, horror movies, crafts, making stuff from leather. Flirting with awesome women :-)
    Nobody knows the market in the future! Believe me, in 1962 no JB player thought that his bass one day would be worth thousands and thousands of dollars! Non-US Fenders sure take a lot of hate/scorn on these pages, but we'll see in 20 years who's playing what :)