Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass pickup covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whoismarykelly, Apr 19, 2004.

1. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    Does anyone use the big metal pickup covers on their jazz bass? Ive always played the same mexi jazz and ive been adding "vintage style" parts to it for a while just for appearance. I just picked up an old chrome pickup cover and im putting it on because it looks so fun. Alot of guys take them off because they make slapping a little harder. Does anyone else use one?

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd really like to find a gold one for my Jazz. I think they look good...

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have the Marcus Miller V bass with the pick up cover. I like it a lot. It doesn't get in the way of slapping and I can play some very busy, totally useless slapping and some tasteful stuff as well. :D

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Go for it!

Some guys say it gets in the way, and others actually use it as a thumb rest for fingerstyle or a palm rest for slapping and thumbing (like Marcus Miller). Go with what ever works for you.

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have put one on and taken it back off of both my j basses and my p bass.... I love the way it looks, but I just can't get used to how it feels! but it does look so stinking cool!

P@

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    ew :meh:

7. I like to leave the bridge cover on but I do remove the front cover, it does get in my way when I play!

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Marcus Miller
    Quote:
    "On the cover of the Jackson 5's "Dancing Machine", Jermaine Jackson had both of his pickup covers on. It looked so cool, that I kept mine on. Eventually I had to take the back one off in order to get some tonal variation, but I left the front on.
    Now I can't play without it. When I play with my thumb, my palm slaps the pickup cover and I kind of gauge where the strings are from there."

9. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    will lee also uses them. he claims it helps his slapping

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have them on both my Jazzes, and both my P's. My style of playing is very active finger and slap usually aggressive because is more or less alt/heavy rock and I jump around alot, but the Jazz covers don't get in my way.