Jazz Bass Pickup Leads

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TDBASSMAN86, May 18, 2021.

1. TDBASSMAN86

TDBASSMAN86

Jan 15, 2019
    Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I recently purchased a Fender Jazz road worn bass and I was shielding the cavities and one of the wires came off of the back of the pickup solder point.

It seems pretty straight forward just soldering the wire back on, but I noticed that some of the threads in the wire and copper and some are another silver color metal. I think the copper threads are what I need to solder and the silver wire is just shielding, but I'm not 100% sure. This is the cloth, push type wire that's pretty common in guitars from what I understand.

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Can you show us a photo? I'm not quite following your description.

At any rate, most Fender pickups are dirt simple. The bottom piece of flatwork will have two eyelets at one end. Each eyelet has one of the pickup lead wires soldered to it. Sometimes there is a third wire that is connected to shielding. Sometimes the shielding is soldered to one of the eyelets with a short jumper. But the two eyelets connecting to the two lead wires are what forms the circuit for the pickup coil.

If you have a broken off wire and there's an eyelet without a wire attached, that's where the broken wire needs to go. Be careful when re-soldering as the eyelet is also the termination point for the hair-thin pickup coil wire, and if you abuse the eyelet when soldering it's possible to break that wire.

In terms of your comment about the color of the wires - the wire used in guitar circuits is typically copper wire, but pre-tinned, which causes it to look silvery in color even though it's copper. When you break a pretinned wire, it can sometimes show the inner copper color, which can cause confusion if you're holding a silver colored wire in your other hand and trying to figure out if it broke off of the copper colored wire fragments left in the solder joint in the eyelet.

Geri O likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022