Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Pickup locations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 4, 2001.

1. I have a very basic question. A Fender Jazz bass has to J-pickups. Is there a difference between the two pickups besides the location (neck, bridge)? Does anything besides location contribute to the difference in sound?

2. what year? MIA, MIJ, OR MIM?

3. Just in general. It doesn't even have to be a Fender. I'm just curious about basses with 2 J-style pickups. Are certain pickups desinged specifically to be installed near the bridge and others specifically for the neck?

4. Yes, mostly because of pole piece spacing or overall string width. Make sure pole pieces match up with your string spacing in the intended position. If the pickup has no pole pieces, make sure the magnetic coverage is wide enough in each position. Aero offers custom spacings if you need it.

5. Adam Bartram

Adam Bartram

May 31, 2001
    London, UK
    Yes, the bridge pickup should be slightly wider than the neck pickup, they're NOT interchangeable.

6. Except on the MIM, where they use two bridge pups. Which is why the buggers buzz like hell.

Most of the difference is simply in positioning, but some pickup sets wind for a different resonant frequency in the bridge and neck pups. whatever that means. But it says so on pup manufacturer web sites.

7. I think you're refering to the number of winds. Pickups sound different with different number of windings. More windings = more power, less treble. Fewer windings = less power, more treble. A lot of pickup sets will have a different number of windings on the neck and bridge pickups.