1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Bass Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lolitsrenzo, Oct 3, 2009.

1. I have a 4-String Ibanez SR-200 Bass Guitar, and I was wondering if I can put a Jazz Bass Pickup on the bass, and if it will make it sound like a Jazz Bass?

2. Help please? I might pick the pickup tomorrow if it does.

3. unless someone here has your exact setup and has done the mods that you are thinking about, it will be impossible to tell you what yer bass will sound like.

4. Well im just seeing if you can put a jazz pickup on a non-jazz bass to make it sound different.

5. Realistically you can install any parts on any bass so long as you have the time, patients, and ability to setup the component/s up correctly. Will it sound good, that is the mystery. Improper setup will bring you nothing but grief, so do your research.
    I would fully agree with Headless Llama, "Unless someone has your exact setup and has done this mode", your basiclly heading into uncharted waters, and who knows what you'll find.
    If this is not your main bass, then it is up to you if you take the plunge or not.

6. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I dont now if its the same but I have a GSR-200. It has a precision and a jazz.

Yes, the two can be combined. But I would be worried that the jazz would be of much better quality than the P and make it sound like crap. The sr200 has crappy electronics, as well as my GSR200

I would save up for a new bass. Get a used sr504 or something.

7. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    If your intent is to get it sounding like a Fender Jazz, you'd also have to install Jazz wiring harness and pots. Even with that it wouldn't mimic the Jazz sound completely. IMO

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    IME, pickups are only a small part of a bass' sound overall. Over the years I've had little luck making one bass sound like another through mods. If you want the jazz bass sound, I'd say save your money on pickups and buy a jazz bass when you can.

9. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    if you can get pickups I KNOW you can get a squire VM Jazz.

/thread