Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass pickup questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sfbass, Sep 5, 2003.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi,
    I'd like to reinstall my original pickups from my Jazz Bass (it's a circa 1970 or so and I'd tossed some Alembics in there around 1984), and have 3 quick questions:

1. I'm not sure which wire goes where on the pickups. Specifically, the problem is that the wires that used to be soldered onto the pickups are no longer there. Instead, there's just a spot of solder where they used to be. Anyhow, I believe there's supposed to be a white wire and a black wire, so if I'm tossing new pots and wires in, I wasn't sure which wire went where on each pickup.

2. Obviously a passive system, but do I need to know anything special if I'm buying replacement pots and the like?? I know that some tone pots are different so I didn't know which one I should be shooting for.

3. Do passive pickups still need the cavity to be shielded?

Thanks so much for your help

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    1- There are only two wires. Solder them one way..if it doesn't work, try the other way. Worse thing that can happen is that it will sound crappy when you get it wrong.

2- No special pots. Lots of places will sell you the correct CTS pots (I believe 250K)

3- YES, especially single coils.