1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass pickup replacement help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Jul 8, 2012.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Hey guys, I've searched through a bunch of the different threads on here regarding this topic, done a bunch of research, and listened to basstasters.com sound clips. But now I'm just looking for some opinions.

My 2012 Am Std Jazz bass came with CS60s pups in it. I would like to replace them. Here are my needs out of a set of passive pups

1- more lows and low-mids. I play with the bridge pup at full most of the time, neck pup up between 50-75% and pluck over the bridge pup too. The CS60s just sound too thin though.

2- I don't like very glassy and piercing highs, but I do like a very growly and aggressive sound

3- I need something with flat pole pieces. The raised pole pieces on the CS60s are tearing my fingers to shreds when I do play over the bridge pup (neck pup is lower so not an issue, but I don't want to lower the bridge pup anymore)

I've been leaning towards Nordstrand's nj4se (though I have heard hum-canceling pups lack some of the true single coil qualities of their noisier predecessors). I have also considered Fralins. Truth is though, I have no idea which pups (out of all the options out there) will get me closest to and in-your-face Jaco type tone and also an in-your-face Marcus Miller tone.
    Flat or flush pole pieces are a must.

Just wondering what you guys think. I play rock n roll (heavily rush influenced prog rock band), funk (bass heavy Marcus miller wannabe type stuff, mixed with some Bootsy meets Sly), electronica (live dance music with real instruments), jazz (need I say more?), and folk music (in order of most played to least... Just started playing jazz with some local cats and might be joining a folk band soon)

2. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    I would have a look at Dimarzio Model J's if you want growly and aggressive with a subdued top end; they sound exactly what you're after.

3. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    I agree. the description above is right on the money. The model j 's are the only jazz pickup that I have tried and liked . Now that being said I'm not a jazz bass guy. They just don't normally have the balls of a p bass but the Dimarzio j is really close.

4. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Suhr single coil jazz bass pickups are excellent. True vintage sound.
    If you play over the bridge pup you might consider Duncan Ant II's.
    Very fat and punchy but not much midrange and very soft highs.

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Didn't Jaco use the stock Fenders pick-ups?

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

7. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Lollars are nice I had a pair. A little spongy sounding. Very smooth pickup.

8. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    I put the Nordstrand's nj4se's in my American Deluxe Jazz and love them.