1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Pickup Replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CH Design, Sep 12, 2008.

1. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I found this the other day. I think it's the only bass that I've ever heard that has a growl to the tone when it's being slapped. For all of the guys who have experience will Jazz replacement pickups, what would you suggest to try and cop this tone?

BTW, I've already emailed the guy in the video. He says it's just a vintage Jazz bass. As far as he know, it's stock.

2. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have an Am/Se Jazz, and it sounds very, very similar . . . play with your settings on your amp and the bass . . . you can get real close. Don't forget that you are listening to that sound through small speakers, and not through a bass amp! Big difference! And . . . usually, if you have a Jazz, turning the volume controls all the way up will give you a tad more growl . . . though I always back them off to get a nice clear thump sound!

BTW . . . my son works in a very well known guitar shop (not a chain store), and I get things at a good discount. I've had at least four different sets of pickups in my Jazz, and have always gone back to the stock pickups . . . they just sound the best to my ears!

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That is pretty much what a traditional J pickup sounds like going direct and using round wounds...

Aero, Fralin, Lollar, VintageVibe (my fav), Fender CS 62 - they'll all do that. What you're looking to avoid are overwound or non-active high output pickups. Those don't have the clarity due to a low mid's bump that tends to mask the upper mid's detail and the true low-end.