1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass pickup settings for metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arntseaj, Aug 7, 2012.

1. arntseaj

arntseaj

Feb 7, 2012
    Just wondering what configuration you use for metal. I've tried both on full but I don't quite like the scooped sound. I always find myself turning the neck completely off and have the bridge and tone on full. What do you guys prefer? I'm always looking forward to trying new tones.

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I think your setting is probably a very popular setting for metal. :)

I like to roll the neck pickup off just a little if I want the bass to sound a little less scooped.

3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I use them both on full. The sound gets kind of scooped, but if you try to focus more on the highs and high mids it will still cut trough. Fresh SS strings aswell.

Some nice overdrive with clean blend and its perfect.

4. I have both pups on full, tone on full. Just a bit of overdrive and I boost the mids quite a bit on my amp. Cuts through nicely, sounds great.

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Eleven.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've been running my bridge pickup at 90% and neck pickup on full with my head set flat. Not necessarily for metal, but more for other genres of rock. I also agree that both on full CAN cut through if you eq your amp right.

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Then:
    Both pickups on full, tone as well.
    But then again: that's on my American Standard Jazz, with tone aplenty. And on Reggie Hamilton's (P/J) and on BlackTop (P/P).
    On the former Squier's (Classic Vibe & Vintage Modified) I changed almost everything from pickups (Bartolini front/Seymour Duncan rear on Classic Vibe - both front and rear Bartolini on Vintage Modified) then neck machineaheads stringholder, jackinput & neckheelchromeplate (Vintage Modified)
    Then a pedalboard with tuner/bass crybaby/compressor/SansAmp bassdriver DI/Ibanez ToneLok bassdriver/Ibanez ToneLok Fuzz. Finally a hi-fi AKG wireless system and a head equalization with bass and treble on (progression) full, with a dynamic over halful of mids to cut thru 2 active 7 stringers.

That's Jazz (metal) bass to me.
    Plain and simple...

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. Sounds like you want a Ray.

9. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    All full on - all the time!

10. arntseaj

arntseaj

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks guys!

I have to agree that the EQ settings do help a lot especially with the scooped sound of all 3 on full. The nice thing about my bass (Schecter Diamond-J) is that the jazz bass pickups are coil-tapped. I honestly think having both pickups run on full and having them single-coiled sounds better than if they were humbuckered. But you just can't beat the punch and growl of the bridge solo'd and adding some bass on the amp to even off the high treble ;)

11. The_Holy_Grail

The_Holy_Grail

Jan 9, 2011
    1. Both Pickups on, max volume.
    2. Tone to max on bass.
    3. Mix clean signal and overdriven signal (Boss ODB-3) and boost all mids on my amp
    4. ????
    5. Profit