1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Pickup Settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ADWolpert, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    When I record with my 62 Reissue Jazz Bass, I often find that humbucking mode -- both pickups all the way up -- yields a sound that's too muddy and doesn't have enough definition -- at least when played with fingers, rather than a pick. I should mention that I have a very good front end -- a Demeter tube direct box into an API 512b into a Summit-DCL-200 compressor.

Anyway, I get much more clarity out of a bridge pickup-only setting, and was wondering how many of you prefer it, too. I'm not trying to sound like Jaco, by the way -- my style is more retro pop, and I'm often just trying to support the song -- but I do love the definition. Do a lot of pop players also favor the bridge pickup?

TIA

Alan

2. I have a 62 reissue and go the opposite, using mostly the neck pickup most of the time. But I also play it with La Bella flats, so that's more in keeping with my tonal preference.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I always roll off the neck pickup just a bit. If you do it slowly while playing an open E or A, you can hear a noticable shift in tone.

I have always done this and it has worked for me.

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I like the bridge pickup soloed, the tone rolled off to where the resonant peak sits in the high-mids and an attack between the pickups. Where you strike the strings can make a big difference.

I've avoided the full-humbucking position for quite a while, I miss the harmonics that get scooped out by destructive interference.

5. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    On a related note, when recording, do you guys do anything special to deal with single coil hum? For me, finding just the right position in my studio (searching for "Mecca") is critical -- but do you guys doing any noise gating, use fancy plug-ins for hum reduction, etc?