1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass pickup sizes

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Could someone explain me what the deal is with the change in size for the Jazz bass pickups?

It seems that the latest ones are longer than they used to be.

What year did the chance occur?

What size are the new ones and the old ones? What is the measurement for where the screws are placed?

Thanks a lot!

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Nope,

Except for the early Mexican-made version of the Standard Jazz bass, the pickups have always been two different sizes, and those sizes have been consistent. For a while the MIM Standard had two PUPs the same size but FMIC fixed that several years ago as it made it very difficult to buy replacement PUPs.

jte

3. JTE I am not talking about the screws being at a different distance from the border of the pickup but rather pickups that were smaller in length at a time.

From what I can see, new pickups are the same length, older ones are smaller.

Thanks for the help

4. not sure what you are saying by "but rather pickups that were smaller in length at a time." but JTE is right, bridge pickup has always been longer than neck pickup as far as J pickups are concerned, in fact you can drop new EMGs/Nordstrands etc in a vintage 60's Jazz bass with no problem

5. Ok, that is bizarre, because I was donated two sets of pickups, including one from a 2008 MIA and they are THE EXACT SAME LENGTH. At least that's what appeared when I placed them side by side. I can take measurements tonight.

The only difference was in the screw placement.

I am a little bit confused.

6. measure them you will probably be surprised. I know if I am not paying attention when assembling a bass, I would try to put the neck pickup in the bridge route or vice-versa because they look almost identical.

7. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    The difference is very small. The overall length of the neck pup is 3.60" the bridge is 3.735" so the difference is 0.135", not easy to eyeball.