1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass pickup spacing throughout the years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 28, 2012.

1. To kind of put them all in one place. What are the different spacings on pickups on the Jazz bass from the 60s-70s-present? What kind of different tones do these accomplish? What is the current Fender spacing in relation to the other? Is it un-changed from the 70s? Most of what I hear about is the difference from the 60s and 70s. Not to mention all of the RIs which capitilize on the certain era of build. It is an interesting topic for me and why its important.

2. JPMo

JPMo

Dec 27, 2010
    Canton, Ga
    I'm also interested in this. I had a squier affinity Jazz as my first bass and recently upgraded to a VM jazz. They each sound different to me and it feels like neck pickup is further away from the neck

3. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Great question. I've been spying a 70's version and the geddy lee jazz and the spacing seems to be the same or similar. Can't find it in the fender specs so maybe someone here will know

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    pickuplocation.gif

5. Sweet. Took a little while to get the answer but now I know! :D

6. BowserBass

BowserBass

Jan 18, 2012
    I wish a p bass was in that diagram, very cool tho

7. The P would most likely line up with the Warwick's neck pickup.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021