1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Pickup Springs/Foam....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flea claypool, Sep 25, 2008.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    I dont know should this be in Set up forum but feel free to move.... mister mod sir :smug:

i have new pickups coming to me some time this week (hurry DHL!!) for my Fender Jazz and i have a certain problem i need your advice on... i know from when i took it apart one time that under the Pickups there is foam (for informations sake its a CIJ 75 RI) and i noticed as well when i put pressure on them (as a result from resting my thumb) they tend to stick down and i have to have pull them out to get them to original height!! questioning also if my pickup height is too low :ninja:

the Pickup screws that come with it which i think are standard on all jazzes are 35mmx2.5mm but i also noticed that they are threaded right to the top?? which makes me wonder does the threw catch the side of the covers when the PU is in at a awkward angle?? i bought new screws (along with the pick ups) that are the same size but arent threaded at the top so maybe this may solve the problem??

so do you guys reckon that could help solve the problem?? or should i look into a way of putting springs behind them??
    Regards
    Aurin:help::help::help:

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I use mouse pad. Just cut 2 small squares per pickup and put the pickup on top - now screw 'em down.

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ya i found that on another site i think (knowing my heavy handed playing ) it would work better then springs!! til i give it a shot

4. I used a koozie..you know one of those foam holders you can put a soda can (or whatever) in to keep it cool. I bought one at a craft store for a dollar and traced the picups on it and cut them out It was just the right height for my P-bass when I put new QP pickups in it. Good Luck

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    I've cut slices from cheap flip-flops for pup-pads ... :help:

Plenty of creative sources for these materials.

Buddha provide ...