1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass Pickups : Formvar or Enamel wire ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damos, Nov 1, 2010.

1. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello,

What's the best solution for vintage's JB pickups rewinding to have the more fender sound like early sixties bass ?

Formvar or Enamel wire ?
    Antiquity II used Formvar or Enamel wire ?
    Lollar ?

2. I think you mean early sixties? Fender didn't make basses in 1916.:hyper:

I'm no vintage pickup expert, but I'm pretty sure that '60s J pickups used Formvar wire.

3. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Thanks

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It makes no difference in tone if it's formvar, PE, or poly, however Fender used heavy formvar at certain times, and the heavy build of the insulation will sound different.

The 60's Jazz pickups used heavy formvar insulation.

5. I think wether you use enamel or formvar actually makes a difference.... With different coatings comes different thicknesses, and with different thicknesses comes different numbers of winding, so different electrical values...

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Right, if you use heavy formvar, it will sound different from single build enamel or even single build formvar. The number of winds doesn't change, but the capacitance is lower and the coil is larger.

But single build formvar sounds the same as single build PE or poly, because the insulation is the same thickness.