Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass plus opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I have a chance to buy a 1990 fender jazz plus.With the lane sensors and I guess kubuki preamp for a great deal. I was wondering how you would compare them to more modern american standard jazz.What do you feel as more growl and verstatility?And how do the jazz bass plus compare over all?

2. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i hate active circuitry with a passion, so maybe my opinion isn't the best for this, but i say that bass will sound like a fart.

3. I replaced an early '90s American Standard Jazz (the "boner bass" with the extended upper horn) with an ash/maple Jazz Plus. It was a nice bass, but the Lace Sensor pups don't really have a lot of character to them, at least to my ear. I tried dropping in Alembic replacement JJs that sounded much nicer.
    The Kubicki pre growls pretty good, especially with the mid-boost option selected, and it also gives you the choice of running passive which can be a lifesaver if your battery craps out in the middle of a gig.
    Overall, I'd say it's a better bass than the American Standard and definitely more versatile, especially if you ditch the stock pickups. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ha ha ha !!!!

I'll bet the bass sounds great.

The bass is fine. The pickups are really fantastic, if you don't like active EQ, go ahead and ditch it.

5. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks for the replys. I decided to go head and buy the jazz bass plus. its a 1990 in gun metal silver. I love the fact its both active and passive and I get a mid boost. The only thing I hear is that its lacks in some sustain so im thinking of putting a badass II on it. Does anybody no if it will fit the jazz bass plus or they all the same?

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Don't bother with the Badass. Fenders should stay stock IMO.

7. The stock bridge on the Jazz+ was either a Gotoh or Fender's copy of one, I think, so a Badass 2 shouldn't make much of a difference.
    As for the sustain, well, it's a Fender. Use it as an excuse to play more notes.
    How much are you laying out?

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thats good. I dont care much for most fender bridges but that helps. Um by laying out do you mean how much im paying? I never heard that before. Im it getting for $400 Tge same price I bought my 78 jazz for two years ago and foolishly sold.Ive been trying to get close to the tone back ever since. :crying:

9. That's a good price for that bass in anything resembling decent shape, but it _will not_ sound very much at all like your '78. Except for the fact that both are made out of two pieces of wood bolted together, they have almost nothing in common construction-wise. If you want '70s tone on short money, why not try a CIJ '75 RI? The Jazz+ is a good bass, but it may not be what you're looking for.

10. bullmoose

bullmoose

Jun 15, 2001
    Edinburgh, UK
    I love this bass. I foolishly tried one out in a guitar shop about 10 years ago and loved the way it felt and couldn't get over the range of tone so had to part with money I didn't have...

Pan the pickup pot back to bridge and play over the back pickup - instant Jaco tone or Flea from Alanis Morissette's "you outta know".

Or dial out all the treble for mellow Fender Bassman tone.

Ring some harmonics and switch back and forth between standby and 'active series' at the end of a song.

Great bass to play - I twiddle the tone controls live more than any other bass I've owned.

11. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I wonder if the OP loves his ? Considering its going on two years since he posted :smug:

12. bullmoose

bullmoose

Jun 15, 2001
    Edinburgh, UK
    it's all about the timing...
    : )