Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Plus V info needed, please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    …I figured the best place to go for it would be Talkbass! :)

I've always wanted a jazz-styled bass, but as I'm a "smaller" bassist (5'5",) the “standard” size is fairly unwieldy on me. I’ve recently come across a 1992 Fender Jazz Plus V, which was a “downsized” model (much like Warmoth’s “Dinky J-bass” body style,) and I’m looking for some info on the model while I consider the purchase. (I’ve found nothing on the net, btw.) Some of the information/opinions I’m looking for is;

• Build Quality – In general, how was the build, hardware and wood quality?
    • Electronics – As I recall, the “plus” series had the same electronics package as the Kubicki Factor basses. Any opinions on how the active electronics work with reproducing a “jazz” tone? Should I consider replacements if the “platform” is worthy?
    • The B-string – If I remember correctly, this was one of the lower points of the line. Would this be a deal-breaker (I used the low B a great deal,) or are there other solutions? (such as a string-through-body bridge, or upgraded electronics)
    • Neck size/profile/string spacing – I’m assuming it’s fairly thin, but does anyone have specific numbers for nut/bridge width, string spacing, and neck profile? As comparison, I’m really comfortable on a Pedulla Rapture J-5 with the standard 17.5 mm spacing at the bridge.

Lastly, does anyone have a general idea on how much they’re going for on the used market? I could default to my original plan of building a dinky jazz from Warmoth parts for $500-600, so does it make economic sense to spend that much on a bass that I’m unsure of the quality of?

Thanks in advance from a relative newbee to the forum! :D

2. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    last time I saw one at bassnw, they wanted about 5 bills for it...btw, if the preamp is a dud, call Kubicki - he has direct replacement preamps for $125.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I've played a couple of early 90's Jazz 5 strings and I was'nt too impressed. I think you would end up doing a bunch of mods to it if you have particular expectations of it. I had a bass built for me using an earl 90's Jazz 5 and it is a great neck so as far as the B string is concerned it could probably be made to sound better with a better bridge. The electronics were alright but I would probably still upgrade to a Basslines or a Bartolini preamp, and I would definitely upgrade the pick ups to Aero, Basslines or Bartolini. IMO you could probably get what you want for less bread in the long run if you build a Warmoth, besides it will probably be alot of fun.