1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz bass pots issue . unresponsive except at 8 - 10

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GlennB, Jul 27, 2017.

1. GlennB

GlennB

Mar 25, 2017
    I recently bought 2001 MIM jazz bass in pretty good shape. Except both volume pots are unresponsive until you turn them up to 7 or 8 and then there is a volume increase. Odd that its both pots. Given this is my first jazz bass I am wondering if that's just the way it is. Alas google searches and forum searches have not answered my questions. Before start swapping out parts can I get some guidance , search hints or thoughts ? Is there a thread(s) for me to go through ? Tone pot is great on this guitar.

2. What value pots does the bass have?

3. GlennB

GlennB

Mar 25, 2017
    The pots are 250k and everything look stock with no monkeying around. thx

4. GlennB

GlennB

Mar 25, 2017
    Side note... have been reading here about pot taper. Audio and linear taper pots, but not sure that's what the trouble is.
    Granted this is new to me. I have changed pots on guitars and basses in the past without seeing this issue.

5. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Sounds like they are audio taper. Are there any additional markings on them?

-

6. Try replacing the pots with linear tapers.

GlennB likes this.
  7. GlennB

GlennB

Mar 25, 2017
    There are some model or series numbers. Which I did not write down... yet. From the "secret life of pots" thread I am thinking they are straight line audio pots (vs standard audio pots), which seem to have a very late and drastic volume increase at about 7.5. While goofing around with several jazz basses at assorted shops while looking for mine I never noticed this response before. It may be a lot of worry over nothing.

8. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Audio taper volume controls are more useful on home audio equipment like receivers, where you might need 60 db or 70 db of volume level adjustment range.

For performance and practice with an instrument, you only need 10 or 20 db of adjustment range on the instrument itself. The main volume adjustment is made at the amp.

With audio taper pots, the useful levels for an instrument are concentrated at the top end of the pot's range. This also makes the control more "touchy", and harder to make fine adjustments. Linear taper pots spread the useful levels out over a larger adjustment sweep. So they make better use of the total range available.

The main difference between the "straight line" audio pots and a true audio taper is that the straight line pots use linear segments to approximate a log (audio) curve. Most audio taper pots use "straight line" segments, though some approximate the log curve more closely than others.

All types of audio taper pots exhibit this adjustment "crowding" at the high end of adjustment range. The big difference will be between audio and linear tapers, not between audio tapers of different types.

-

GlennB likes this.
  9. GlennB

GlennB

Mar 25, 2017
    I appreciate the patience and responses to my problem. None of my guitars or basses are like this. So now I will decide if I can live with it or break out the soldering iron.