1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jazz bass pots (not wiring)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by uethanian, Jan 16, 2008.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i rewired a squire jazz bass a while ago, and i've been pretty happy with it. BUT the pots have always been loose/wobbly. is this at all a normal thing for a jazz bass? i wouldnt think so, but having a metal shaft running thru a metal plate, held in place by metal washers and nuts says differently. all i know is i put the ridged washer on the inside and the smooth on on the outside. and i really dont think i can pop off the knobs to tighten the nut without tearing some of the wiring inside or breaking a screw. so wat is it exactly?

2. perucci

perucci

Dec 25, 2007
    Are the knobs held-on by a set-screw or just "push on"? On the Squier Affinity P I had a few years ago, the knobs were just "push-on". If so, they should pull-off easily (like on an oven, old radio or old TV).

On my Squier, the nuts that hold-on the pots were indeed loose. Just be careful when you tighten them that the pots underneath (or input jack) don't turn; the wires underneath the metal plate could short. When I tightened mine, the input-jack turned enough to create a short (which I easily fixed once I detected the problem.

3. To pop off the knobs take two small flat head screwdrivers on opposite sides of the knob. Place them between the nut and the edge of the knob and rock the screw drivers from side to side to wiggle the knob free. If the pots loosening has been a repeated problem, you might try switching the ribbed washer to the top of the plate. It should act to lock the nut in place and reduce the problem. Another option is to get a second nut and place it on the shaft under the plate. The two nuts will be more likely to lock the pot in place.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021