Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass Pots Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    UPS is bringing me a '62 RI Jazz, and it has the stacked pot configuration. I've never cared for that configuration, and I'm going to replace it with the three pot setup.

Here are my questions...

The stacked knobs use 500K for volume and 250K for tone. Given how jazz pots are wired together, does that mean that if each volume pot is 500K, each pickup acts like it's wired to a 250K pot? And if each pot is 250K, that each pickup acts like it's wired to a 125K pot?

Second, I want to put a push/pull switch knob for series/parallel switching on the tone pot. Does anyone have a source for a 250K audio taper solid shaft .250 pot (preferably CTS) with a push/pull pot? I've found split shaft versions, but not solid, though I've found one desgned for use in amps that might work, though I need to get the dimensions.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Smash,
    My automatic thought was 250K for everything, but I wondered after seeing that the stacks were 500K for volume. Didn't want to miss some big tonal secret.
    I've already looked at those sites (and many many others). They only have split shaft knobs, and I need solid.
    I don't know if I'll be selling the old pots or the whole wiring assembly/controls. I may put them in a bag in storage in case I ever need to sell the bass.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Ok, I found the solid shaft dpdt pots at Torres (though I'm not thrilled to have to deal with them). Thanks.