1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass, Precision Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by puxstar23, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Hello, I am new to the world of Fender basses and I recently purchased a Jazz bass on ebay for around $200. It has precision pickups in the neck position. I took off the pickguard and noticed the guy had cut out a chunk of the body to put in the precision pickups. I'd like to put in a Jazz neck pickup, but am worried the cut out from the body will affect the sound. What do you guys think?

2. How much have been taken off? I think he'd have to remove quite much to affect the tone, so I doubt you have to worry. Upload a pic on it so it's easier to understand how much that's been taken off.

3. That little piece won't make an audible difference :D I'm prepared to bet that if there's a difference it's strictly psychological :D You've got nothing to worry about, just slap in a J-pickup and play the hell out of it ;)

4. thanks! that makes me feel a lot better about this. now i just need to hit up ebay and find some nice pickups.

5. Some basses come with a route almost that big even though they only have a jazz pickup installed. Not to worry at all.