Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nvilla, May 15, 2004.

1. I just bought a MIM classic 60s Fender jazz bass from GC about a week ago. So far I love this bass, plays awesome and sounds great even through my little amp. Anyways, I was playing it the other day and noticed the the notes on the E string from about the 9th fret and up sound like they are out of tune kind of like a reverb effect. This is the first time I noticed it so I dont think it was doing this before. Is it the intonation or is something wrong with the bass?

2. IMO no bass from GC should ever be considered as having a setup. They have a real bad rep around here.

As with any of the imported models, it's always best to do a top to bottom run-through of all the critical assembly and adjustment issues. This would include checking the intonement (new word - look it up) of the instrument. It might also include the nut, bridge placement, neck alignment and other things. Search the Setup archives for keywords like "intonation", and "tune" and you should come up with some discussions that will help the diagnosis.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Adding to what Hambone suggested I would also check the pickup height. Ime if they're too close to the strings, the strong magnetic pull on the string can give you the sound you describe.

4. What should the pickup height be? I did notice when I play that the strings are real close to the pickups or at least a lot closer than on my RBX. I hope this is the problem because I really like this bass and I dont want to return it.

5. Fixed it!! I lowerd the pickups a little and that did the trick. Thanks a bunch Mike N.

6. Nice call Mike!

:hyper:

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Thanks. :)