Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bass problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjamn, Jun 24, 2002.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Just got a new Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and i love its tone. The one problem i am having is playing the 3-finger triplet style...like Steve Harris

Every time i hit the three finger triplet i get this annoying click and it mutes out the note!(It's not the same as the P-bass click you hear in Harris's basslines either)
    Pretty sure this is the string hitting the pickup sine i think my bridge pickup is a bit high, But not totally sure as i dont see it actually hitting it....maybe some feedback or whatnot ? Anyone with a jazz have this problem also ?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Practice practice practice.

And it's easy to adjust pickup height - try that!

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thanks,
    It could be the pickup height...I am hoping it's not the pickups themselves that i would need to replace as the metal is not covered on them like a bartolini style pickup....

Practicing wont really help though...I've played the same on my other 2 basses for years. The jazz is the first i've ran into this annoying problem.

4. I have one of these basses, and it plays tons different from my Yamaha Attitude(s). I like the bass, but out of the box I had to make a ton of adjustments for my playing style...lowering the action, adjusting the pickup height, etc.

If you don't want to lower the pickups or raise your strings, put a coat of epoxy across the tops of the pu's. Sounds like it's from the strings striking the poles, and this should stop it. Steve Harris' noise comes from the strings on the neck, not from the pickups.