Jazz Bass Project: Need SD Pickup Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SoyBase, Nov 22, 2004.

1. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Okay, I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

First off, I want to use Seymour Duncans because I've always like their stuff, and their customer service is, in my opinion, the best.

I've got a jazz bass project in the works and am trying to decide between the Hot Stacks or the Quarter Pounders.

I'm not looking for something with a "vintage" sound, but something more modern and punchy sounding with crisp highs, a meaty growl and ballsy lows. I'm a Stingray player by heart, so maybe that will give you some sort of an idea of what kind of sound resemblance I'm looking for. I'm open to adding an onboard pre, but would prefer to keep it passive and if needed, use an outboard if needed.

Now I can order either pickup set, and if I don't like it, can swap it out, but I'd like to make it a one shot deal.

I've only heard the Quarter Pounders in a P-Bass and thought it sounded nice and aggressive, but never heard the pair in a jazz.

Anyone have any good advice on these pickups?

2. These are the ones I have experience with. I'm personally leaning more and more towards Bartolinis after having gone through quite a few SDs. They are great pickups however and their quality is consistently good. Check out SMASH's pickup roundup on here somewhere.

Quarter pounders are your standard stock SD, they sound fine but aren't very unique. Solid tone, good highs, solid bottom, middle of the road as far as characteristics/overtones, kinda boring higher output than stock Fender.

SD Hot are high output lots of middle growl and bottom end, a little lacking in the top but can be remedied with 500K pots and EQ. LoTS of output, almost in the Dimarzio Model J range (but not quite).

SD Vintage (not Antiquity) good output, middle highs and solid lower bottom (not middy) Not much different sounding than the quarter pounders, maybe a bit less output. Lacking interesting characteristics -hard to tell diff between these and quarter pounders tone wise IMO.

Antiquities I: great warm sound, lower output, subtle tone characteristics good for recording and fretless. middle lows come through. My favorite sounding SD.
  3. rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    If you're looking for a more modern tone try the SD SJB5 (standard Jazz size and will work fine with a four string) with the STC-3 preamp. The pickups are a flat response, low output designed for preamps and they have a real hi-fi sound with a ton of growl. Lots of mid and low mid punch and a SOLID bottom!! I have them in my Streamer.

I also have the Quarter Pounders and they are exactly as described by blipndub..that is high output middle of the road sound. Great for a typical Jazz tone with an edge but a lot like a wide variety of other pickups on the market.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Didn't have a hotstack pair but had a hot P with a hotstack J and it was similar to what Blipndub described but top end was a bit over the top and hard to control. Definetly punchy high output.

Don't know about the others but know the hotsacks are 4 wire with ground so you could get typical MM flexibility in series, parallel, and single from each pup. There's a cool wiring on the Bart site where you can also wire standard HB's inside coils, outside coils, and series - all humbucking so you get HB series and two J tones (bright, and soft) - all humcanceling. I've never done it with stacked HB's but it may work for them as well. Since their stacked, the J tones may be redundant but don't know till you try. Regardless, there's a bunch of tonal options available with such a setup.