So, I bought a Jazz Bass on ebay. The bass was "not quite as described." MIK instead of MIJ. Body had a one coat shot of dull black spray paint. Carvin H50N pickups as advertised, but later I found that one was shot, almost no output. Pots were bad, with the tone pot not working at all. Numerous dings not mentioned by the seller. So what did I do? I took it apart and started over! I striped the paint down to the sealer and determined that it was a plywood body. So much for a nice natural wood finish! Had to use wood filler on a few dings. Since I couldn't get a natural wood finish, I decided to go a little wild. I bought some construction orange spray paint ($5.00 per can) and started shooting! I applied several coats, then used a clear coat on top to protect the finish. I lined the control cavity with shielding foil and put the bass back together, leaving the soldering of new pots to the luthier. The luthier checked the pickups before soldering and let me know that one pickup was basically dead. Okay, I thought, it's a Jazz Bass, let's really make it sound like one! The luthier had some '62 reissue PUs that he gave me a great deal on, so in they went. Here's what my bright orange bass looks like: After some set up work and a set of flatwounds, I find that this bass sounds and plays great. Nice thump, a Jamerson Motown vibe or mellow blues tone can all be easilly dialed up. This turned out to be a fun little project, and I got a good bass for less than the cost of a new MIM.