Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bass pup issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassmanfin, Mar 1, 2006.

1. bassmanfin

bassmanfin

Jun 18, 2005
    Hi all, I have a 90's Japan factory jazz bass I put some seymour duncan basslines in along with a J Retro 01 Bass Preamp by John East. The tone is great, but I have a problem. As my fingers rub on the pick guard (when slapping) or as my fingers slide across the strings, I hear a static sound, kind of like static electricity. I don't know how else to explain it.
    Any suggestions would really help. thanks.

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Might be grounding. here try this. dont touch the bass while you have it on with a strap. tap the bridge or machine heads. do you hear a click?. also when you touch the bridge/control plate/machine heads/strings do you hear a huge decrease in static?

if so check your grounding. other than that it might be your cable or something.

3. Maybe your pickguard is loose and you create static while you are playing..I have a bass that does the same thing.The other day I had a friend push the pickguard against the body while I tried to reproduce the static and as long as he was pressing the pickguard against the body there was no static.He suggested to put an extra screw in the center of the pickguard.Haven't done it yet but I think it will work.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Please don't put a screw in the middle of the pickguard. LOL
    If you do, and it doesn't work............your screwed. Check the wiring for a cold solder. Has it had this problem since you added the new pus and pre?

5. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006

More likely the pressure on the pickguard is completing the circuit on something underneath it and eliminating the ground issue.