1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz bass question & 5-string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Lansen, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hello everyone,

I guess there are two questions in this one post.

I'm looking to buy a 5-string bass now. I've tried many P-style ones and Yamahas, and a few other ones at my local music stores and most of them didn't feel very comfortable, since I have small hands.

Today I played a Squier Affinity Jazz V. It was the first time I played a J-style bass. The neck didn't feel much bigger than that of a 4-string P-bass (which I'm very used to by now), and I liked the string spacing.

I like a warm tone with lots of mid and bottom, and my P-bass knockoff modded with the quarter-pounder pickup and flatwound strings does just the trick. The Jazz (with roundwounds, I assume) didn't sound quite mellow enough.

I tried using the neck pickup only, but there was a huge amount of buzz. I knew this was supposed to happen, but I didn't expect it to be so noisy! Is there any way to fix this? Do better basses or higher quality pickups produce less noise? Or are there separate humbucking pickups for J bass?

Finally, can anyone recommend some other 5-string basses with slim necks I could try? It doesn't have to be Fender-style.

Thank you.

2. Ibanez.

lowsound

3. Can you be a little more specific?

My store didn't have many Ibanez basses. The only 5-string I found there was a GSR205, and I was not impressed by its B-string at all.

4. Ibanez SR-505

Excellent tone, lightweight and slim neck. You can get these for between $550-600 new -- far less used.

[​IMG]

5. Spector Legend series.

6. Schecter Stilleto 5 have nice slim necks with tight string spacing. EMGs are as quiet as can be. You would like this.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Peavey Millennium BXP or AC BXP (if you prefer the active model). Under $400, sound great and have comfortable necks (IMO). At least they are worth a try.

If you find the Squier is the most comfortable you can always look into getting noiseless pickups.

8. I played a Peavey Millenium BXP 4-string before, and I remember liking the bass. I just called the store, turned out they did have a couple of 5-string ones on the shelves, I'm not sure how I could've missed them. I'm definitely going to try them tomorrow.

The Squier was only the first J-bass I ever played, 4 strings or otherwise. So perhaps, at the same time, I should look into more Fenders, Squiers, or other Fender-style J-basses, too, and see if I can find a really decent one.

About noiseless J pickups, are they individually humbucking?

9. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am not really sure. Hopefully someone here has some knowledge on them. I though they were wired to suppress noise but weren't humbuckers.